Saturday, August 09, 2008

Doesn't this look good!


Last week Sarah and I drove to Virginia to be with Ella for her second birthday. Her mother and daddy invited friends over from work, their church, and their neighborhood for a later afternoon of dessert and activities inside and out. Behold the lovely table that was set. If you couldn't find something that would satisfy your sweet tooth, there was just something wrong with you. From left to right you see a carrot cake, phyllo cups filled with chocolate mousse topped with whipped topping, a lime cheesecake, and a black forest trifle.

When we arrived on Saturday afternoon, Sabrina said to me, "I need your help." She had made the cheesecake the day before, and it had cracked. She wanted to know if I had ever made a ganache. I hadn't, but I had watched Ina make it many times on the Barefoot Cont*ssa. So with a recipe in hand we made a white chocolate ganache and filled in the cracks. I don't believe anyone knew any better. The cheesecake was one of the first desserts that was eaten up.
Ella's parents hadn't wanted this to be a time when everyone brought presents for Ella, so she invited her babysitter over the next day, and that was when we had cake. A slice of the carrot cake served as Ella's cake. You can see that in the post further down.

Everyone loved the party on Saturday. One gentleman said, "Sabrina, is this going to become an annual event?" The neighbors have already planned the next evening when they'll get together and play games outdoors. The party was indeed a great success. A good time was had by all.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

kenju said...

Oh, Beverly, I could eat that whole trifle!!!

Putz said...

i have a blood sugar problem, and you go and show all that SUGAR

photowannabe said...

It looks like a fabulous spread and that cheesecake would have been my downfall.
Yumm-o.

JeanMac said...

Chocolate mousse for me, please:)
Looks like a grand occasion.Wouldn't it be nice if it did continue yearly?

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to lose several more pounds, and you show all of that?? Just looking adds calories, you know! You have no heart!

Beverly said...

Cheesecake yum!!!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Everything looked deeelicious!

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Your people sure know how to party!

Wendy said...

Oh yes, the cheesecake for me too! And I think it's wonderful that people actually wanted to continue the tradition every year. A real tribute to your family (or maybe it was the carrot cake!) Just kidding.

Unknown said...

Beverly- i've been away from blogs for a few weeks- good to see such wonderful pictures of Ella- and your trip to south of the border! Love it!!!!

G. Harrison said...

beverly,

everyone needs a traditional meal that includes cheesecake.

my wife-to-be served cherry cheesecake to me shortly after we met in 1970 and we celebrated our 38th anniversary last Friday.

38 more to go I hope.

cheers,

gord h.

Karen Townsend said...

Holy sugar buzz, Batman! What a spread. And I can make ganache now thanks to Ina, too. Yummy.

What clever parents baby Ella has to come up with such a wonderful idea to celebrate her birth. Blessings to all.

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds like such a wonderful celebration. Such a lovely idea.

AC said...

I'll wrestle Kenju for that trifle. Happy Birthday to the special girl!