Monday, August 18, 2008

When all else fails...


I bought this sign for one of my teacher friends a few years ago. We both got a laugh out of it. The other day when I was at my old school, I entered a teacher's room who had all sorts of neat "teacher" stuff on her wall. I smiled again as I thought of Dot.

School started today, and there is a day off tomorrow. Why, you say? Tropical Storm Fay is on its way to our area, so schools will be closed tomorrow. Thankfully, at this point, it isn't expected to turn into a hurricane. We will have lots of rain and wind. I'm just now listening to the governor who said, "Stay calm, be smart, and use common sense." That does make sense.

I remember when I was still teaching we postponed school's opening on the first day because Andrew was to come across the state and hit us. Instead, you might recall that it did major, major damage in south Florida, particularly Homestead. We didn't have a drop of rain, not did a leaf blow.

During the time that I was in Haiti, I never experienced a hurricane, but the missionary kids that I taught loved to get off subject in class and talk about all their remembrances of the storms. I was advised when I went to Haiti to pack some of my belongings in a steel drum so that it could be used to store valuables in case of storm. Fortunately, I never had to use it for that.

I grew up here in Florida, and except for the summer of 2004 (I think) when hurricane Charlie and three others devastated the state, I don't remember a major storm. Hurricane Donna did come through in 1962, but I was away in college. I live in a somewhat protected area, or so it seems. The summer of Charlie and the others was horrific for people in the state. However, the storms skirted our area, and we had no major damage. I read and heard that the Indians knew something that we didn't know. It is reported that when they knew that a storm was coming, they would come to this area of west Florida.

So...a storm is on its way. Shelters will be open for those who need a safe place. In many counties, people who live in mobile homes, and there are many, are required to evacuate. Many folks who live on the barrier islands are encouraged to leave as well, and there is a large population who lives there.

One thing about hurricanes...we have all kinds of warnings. Anyone who doesn't take precaution is indeed foolish.

Not the best way to get a school holiday...especially right when school is starting.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Karen Townsend said...

Stay safe, I know you will. Hope not much damage comes your way.

JeanMac said...

Hoping you will be safe - maybe kids used to pull fire alarms to get a bit of time out of school. (We were bad in the old days)

Susie said...

I love that sign, and I'm sure my daughter would too. School starts for her on Wed.
You sound quite calm about the hurricane. I suppose it's much the same as we feel about earthquakes. They're not fun, but just part of living where we do!
praying you'll be safe..
xo

Wendy said...

Love that sign too! Isn't that interesting about the Indians. People who lived close to the Earth and could interpret her messages. We've lost that ability today.
Hope you stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Neat sign. If the community college where I taught for several years had any kind of fire alarm, I never heard it, never did any drill. Chaos would reign.

Have you heard whether any part of Hawaii got hit with Fay? I heard something about 8 known deaths in the Dominican Republic. No idea whether any Compassion projects, churches or families were involved.

Anonymous said...

It's late. It's past my bedtime. Okay, it isn't my bedtime, yet, but it's gonna be along, any minute now!

Hawaii. :o(

kenju said...

Wasn't this a great week for miss kenju to take her dad to Miami??!! They are riding it out in Ft. Lauderdale, and they are supposed to fly home tomorrow. Wish them luck! LOL

L. said...

I have been watching "Faye" with great interest since I have family in West Palm Beach. Mom had the storm awnings put down on her condo yesterday...and attended a meeting at her new home to discuss Hurricane safety.

Glad to hear that you are staying aware of the warnings....stay safe.

Keep us posted.

xoxo

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

We weren't devasted by Charley but we were harmed by the other storms of 2004 ... in fact Jacksonville had 5 storms come through that year. I will NEVER forget Sept 5, 2004 when Jeanne came through. What a scary scary night...Jeanne had over 150 tornadoes associated with it. On the Weather Channel last night they listed it as one of the top 5 storms producing the most number of tornadoes. That is what I fear the most about Fay. Being a life long resident of Florida I still remember 1964 and Hurricane Dora hitting Jacksonville as a CAT 2. We had no power for two weeks. Here's hoping we all stay safe.

photowannabe said...

Thanks for your update. I have been thinking about you. Stay safe and I love the sign. Kids really love any excuse to get out of school.

Putz said...

what do the manatees do when the storms hit your little burg????