It's amazing how this date, 9/11, brings back vivid memories of the happenings of that day. The emotions that are stirred today are not unlike those of 2001.
On another note, the photo in the post below is that of a little girl my friend takes care of. She was sitting at the table at Bob Evans the other day, looking so intently at the book. I caught a shot of her without the pacifier, but I thought this one was better. It's never too early for books, is it.
10 comments:
Thanks! I'd love that photo! Could you please e-mail it to me and I can save it in my pics hopefully. I can pass it on to the gal who is in the library at my old school.
No, it isn't. I love to see children - even infants - holding books.
I really like that photo of the sweetie with the book! Wordless because of the pacifier... fits the theme of Wordless Wednesday perfectly!
She is too cute. I love the way she is concentrating so intently on the book. Thanks for sharing.
I don't ever think I will forget the emotions that we experienced that day.
We(Hubby)and I had just worked a trade show 2 weeks before at the Javits Convention Center. Many of the people we worked with were off duty NYC firemen. One of the firemen Louie was part of the rescue squad that was going up in the tower rescuing people. He and another fireman got stuck in the elevator as the tower was beginning to fall. They finally broke out and ran for their lives. Louies air supply was too heavy and slowed him down. He took it off and said he thought he was going to die anyway. He ran and stumbled as the building stuff rained down on him and he thought that was his last breath. He couldn't see a thing but as he lay on the ground he reached his hand out and it was ,as if a miracle happened. He put his hand on someone elses air pack, put it up to his face and had just enough oxygen to get beyond the collasped building. He lived but so many of his buddies died. We didn't know that Louie had made it safely until reading a small interview by him in a People magazine. I just can't explain the feelings that ran through me as I read that. He suffered deminished lung capacity of 70% because of all the silt particles in the air and the particles damaged his eyesight too. What it did to his emotional state was pretty devestating too. I really don't know how someone fully recovers from terror like that. He litterally gave his all to rescue others. He just said...that's my job.
Go to my archives for 9-11-2006 and you can see pictures of Louie and other fireman looking at the memorial. There are pictures of the site that we took when we did another trade show there about 6 months after the attack.
A sad time. Can't believe 7 years have passed already.
She's a sweetie - and it's never too early for books, in my humble opinion.
Spent the day honoring the families.
Such a tragic day in our history. One that will never be forgotten.
She looks so much as if she were really reading! And I'm betting it's pretty much a picture book.
Post a Comment