Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sunday evening

When I looked at my last post, I see that it has been almost a week since I posted. A couple of you have commented and asked the hurricanes and Florida. As I've mentioned, I live on the west coast of Florida below Tampa, and we have had just a little rain and wind from the storms that have passed by.

TS Fay was headed for us, but it went inland further south, as Charlie did back in 2005. Some of the photos from the east coast showed quite a bit of flooding. One blogger who lives above Tallahassee in the panhandle said that they got 21.5 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. So while Fay was not a hurricane, it brought a LOT of rain.

Gustav, as you know, passed us by and went on to Louisiana and Jamie wrote about Gustav in Arkansas. Hanna also made her appearance, but again, here where I live, we were not affected at all. We are now watching Hurricane Ike which has caused evacuations down in the keys. It has weakened some to a category three (still a very strong storm, but now as I look at the map, it looks like it could head toward Louisiana as well.

When you look at those maps, the storms look they cover such a wide area, but the outer parts of the pictures might mean a little wind. David called me once a year or so ago and asked if we were having a tropical storm because it looked that way on the map. I looked out the window, and there was not a leaf moving...so goes life in Florida. It's a waiting game and always causes some anxiety, I must confess.

Not so fortunate are the islands in the Caribbean. As you know, I lived and worked in Haiti for three and a half years before I was married, and while I never experienced a hurricane, I saw devastation that heavy rains could cause there. I have been receiving e-mails from there which have been telling about the deaths and destruction from Fay, Gustav, and Hanna.

This photo was sent to me in an e-mail from Haiti. I think this is the town of Gonaives toward the north of the country of Haiti. Three years ago, this city was flooded like this. Trucks could not get in with aid. The bodies of animals were floating in the water, and sometimes, even bodies. I'm reading the same thing about these storms that have hit recently.

Compassion is an organization which helps provide relief to countries like this. One can sponsor a child through this organization for $32 a month. This helps to provide food for the child and helps with the schooling. My son and his wife sponsor a child in Uganda. I sponsor a little girl in Haiti. Vicki is an advocate for Compassion. Visit her blog and you can read her heart. Compassion has made a plea for funds for relief for countries like Haiti where food prices have soared in recent days, and incomes have not.

When you look at the weather maps and read about the storms here, think about those poor people in Haiti who really have no place to go from the storm. Have a good week.

13 comments:

JeanMac said...

Does being West protect you to some extent?

photowannabe said...

Well written Beverly. I am glad you are weathering the storms so well but my heart does ache for the many less fortunate. Compassion is a great organization. I sponsor a girl named Irene in Kenya through another organization. A small monthly gift can make such a great impact on the children's vives.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Beverly, for pointing your readers to Compassion and to my blog. I didn't know David and his wife were also sponsoring a child; that is incredible! Little Ella will grow up learning about a "brother" or "sister" who lives far away. :o)

As you know, I have been struck pretty dumb, just unable to put into words my reactions to the devastation in Haiti. And to think that is only one country that lives with disasters like this. They really need our prayer support, as well as our practical help.

Putz said...

oh my gosh , your little burg isn't by any of these big bad hurricanes is it????? i thought all you had were puddle. i have to be careful whaat i say however, because victoria just now accused me of WIFE BASHING on my putz blog and all i was trying to do is be cute

kenju said...

I always think about the people of the Caribbean; Haiti, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Caymans, etc. when there is a storm. I don't know how they can stand it to be hit so many times in succession.

Amy said...

We know of some missionaries in Haiti. My thoughts and prayers have been with all the ones there. Thanks for sharing an update with us. Blessings.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Looking at that photo, all I can say is, "Lord, have mercy."

amarkonmywall said...

I've been thinking about all those poor islanders. Our media makes such a huge to-do over even potential storms and the coverage of our hurricanes is so extensive and then we hear relatively little about these people. Sometime, at the Shrimp Store, I want to hear more about your time in Haiti.

Wendy said...

Thanks for the update, Bev. I am glad you are o.k.
My thoughts and prayers are for those poor folks in the islands.
God Bless...

Jamie Dawn said...

I know that both Haiti and Cuba have really been pummeled by these storms lately. It is awful to think of how poor people suffer in areas with structures that are not able to withstand these winds and floods.
I hate hearing about the death toll from these storms.
We lose people here in America, especially when people are swept away in flood waters, but we really don't feel the full brunt of the storms the way Haiti and Cuba do. I am so thankful for what we have here that enables us to cope when these storms come our way.
We are truly blessed.

Putz said...

my new school year's starting resolution is to quit calling your lovely busy, forwarded looking buselling community, small and ruralish....it is just it sounds sooooo, but i am sure it is much like atlanta, big, lots of people

Shammickite said...

I feel sorry for anyone in the path of one of those killer hurricanes... we experienced a very small part of Tropical Storm Noel in Florida last year, but it was nothing compared to what those poor people in the carribbean have to endure.

Mother of Invention said...

I guess you are all very used to storms and know how to prepare. We are headed to Dallas tomorrow for my niece's wedding...and so is Hurricane Ike! All her planning and it's going to rain. You'd think out of 3 days in texas, we'd get sun!