At lunch we enjoyed our lunch with Ella's daddy. He works close by so he gets home for lunch. I mentioned that on my way to Virginia I stopped by Mount Olive, North Carolina. Sarah graduated from Mount Olive College, Mount Olive also happens to be the home of Mount Olive Pickles. The company supports the college, and so every year in November at Homecoming, the college has a Pickle Classic, a tournament of basketball games between nearby colleges.
During this weekend there is also a walk for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. That makes me happy to know that the life of a former student with CF made an impact on those at the school and they honor her in this way.
Mount Olive College is proud of the fact that their baseball team was the NCAA Division II baseball champs this year. That was a wonderful accomplishment for them.
The college is a Baptist school, which is supported also by the Free Will Baptists in North Carolina. On Monday night I went to a dinner with my friend, who heads up alumni activities for the school. The churches in the different counties raise money for the school, and at these dinners, they bring their gifts. At each table was a jar of pickles, given by the pickle company. Since our jar was opened, I brought them along to Virginia, and Ella and I have finished them rather quickly.
By the way, if you ever pass through Mount Olive, you can visit Mount Olive Pickles at the corner of Cucumber and Vine.

13 comments:
In all the years we've lived in NC, I've never been to Mount Olive. I do buy their pickles!
Looks like an ideal neighbourhood for Ella!
A beauty pic of her eyes below this post!
We have Koscher dills called, "Strubs" that are just fabulous here and have to be sold in the refrig. section.
Those aren't REAL street names, are they? Hilarious!
Man, this little Ella is gorgeous...those eyes below are SO pretty!!
Bev, it's 4 AM here and I wanted to get to your block and in my blurry insomnia, I clicked on BLOCKED (yours and TonyC's!) on my dashboard (since you'd so kindly 'favorited' me) and I want you to know that was accidental and I WANT YOU BACK. Sadly, I'm too computer dumbo to have returned the favor of the 'favorites', plus I have so many lists by now I don't want or need another one, but you ARE one of my favorites and I want you to know I did NOT do that on purpose!
I will now try to go back to sleep and get my brains working again (spent a stress-filled afternoon at the hospital with a 90 yr old friend hearing from the docs that her 95 yr old husband might need open heart surgery and he might not make it thru, so I'm wiped emotionally!) Would you believe the doc asked this old man if his parents were still alive? When we all laughed, he asked "do you have brothers and sisters?" and I piped in with "No, but his folks were kind of hoping to have another one.." !!! oy.!!
sorry about my error !!
Also, tell your son I want to move in...that street looks so pretty!! AND KISS Ella for me!
Oh my goodness Look at Ella! She is growing up so fast! It just seems like yesterday that she was an itty bitty baby.What sweetness she is growing into....
Loved reading more about Mt. Olive!
I buy their pickles all the time, but never knew it was a real place!
Ella has really grown and is cute as can be!
xo
If I ever pass close to Mount Olive I shall be sure to drop in and buy some pickles, I shall tell them that Beverley sent me!
mt olive pickles...did you say the mt. olive pickles???? wow
I didn't know that Mt. Olive pickles was from a real place. Our Safeway has just started carrying this brand and I actually have a jar of gerkins in the fridge right now.
So happy you are having fun with Ella.
I just know that you are having a wonderful time with your sweet (and beautiful!) Ella!
OK. I'm a little jealous. : )
Only kidding....continue having a loving time with your family.
xoxo
Grammie
That little girl is growing so big!
I wondered if you were away. We were in VA last weekend too--taking mom to tom's for a few weeks.
She's growing up fast! Looks like a great neighbourhood for her and her daddy comes home for lunch. That's a plus!
Looking forward to more pics of Ella. You can't post enough for my taste!
Hope the pickles were tasty.
I love this photo of Ella.. she looks so grown up. I also love pickles. :-)
Post a Comment