Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Places I've Been

About three weeks ago, I boarded a bus and headed for the east coast of Florida visiting the historic city of St. Augustine. I had the opportunity to go with a group of retired educators and miscellaneous retirees. It is nice to let someone else do the driving for a change, although there were parts of the trip when I wished I hadn't been on the bus. When we got to St. Augustine, I thought we would get off and have a tour by trolley around the city. Instead the tour we were with had the bus driver drive around the city while the tour guide lectured. The lecturer was really good, but it was sometimes hard to see.
After the ride around the city on the bus, we did have time to go for lunch and to walk around the city. The historic section is quite small, and one can easily walk to all the places where we had been by bus. Riding around and walking around the city brought back the memories of when we took our children there when we were younger. There are some things that never change.
The delightful way to see the city would be in the horse-drawn carriage as you see here. Even though it was close to spring break time, it was not terribly crowded, and that was a nice thing. Pleasant weather and a good companion made the trip very enjoyable. I roomed with a lady from New York who is down for the winter. She, like I, am a widow, and we found that we had so much in common. For not knowing each other before going on the trip, we got along famously.
I could not resist taking this photo. I wonder how many of these are given out these days.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

JeanMac said...

Glad you met a good "roomie". Wayne and I always made friends with people on our tours.We still keep in touch.

kenju said...

We drove through St. Aug back in the 70's, with all the children, in a large van. People kept honking at us and waving and saying hi (we thought). We decided it was a very friendly city. Little did we know that we had a flat tire and they were trying hard to point it out to us.

Isn't is nice to have an amenable roommate!?

srp said...

I have been to Orlando and Lakeland and that is it. I see you made it up to Charlottesville and got to have lunch with Judy too... what fun. It looks like you have arrived on the tail end of our little cold spell.

My brother arrives from Europe on Saturday night. So I am in my usual cleaning tailspin.

Joy Des Jardins said...

It's always such a nice surprise when you have to room with someone and you really get along well with them. It helps a lot. Sounds like great fun Bev....Happy Easter sweetie....Love, Joy

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a nice time. I would imagine that Florida has lovely weather this time of year. I love the quaintness depicted.