Saturday, July 18, 2009

In Christ Alone



This song has been going through my mind all day. Three years ago I had opportunity to work at an Inter-Varsity camp in upper Michigan. What a thrill it was to hear 300 college students sing this hymn of praise to God.

Today on the radio, Tony Dungy mentioned a football player who back in 1993 was playing in his first playoff game with the Buffalo Bills. He had been listening to this song all week. In the third quarter of the game, the Bills were losing badly, but this player led the team to a 41-38 victory in overtime. When he was asked how he did it, he laid down his playbook and quoted the words of this song, "In Christ Alone."

I pray that the words of this hymn touch your heart as it has mine today.

7 comments:

kenju said...

I've never heard that one, Beverly.

Island Rider said...

You must listen to WJIS. I heard that story too and found it moving. Thanks for the reminder.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this song has always been a favorite, thanks for the reminder.

JeanMac said...

Nice post, now I'll listen to the song.

srp said...

Beautiful song.
I think I watched that playoff game. They were losing so badly that Stephen and I had left the loft to fix supper and the cheering started getting louder on the TV... so we went up and I believe it was the biggest comeback win ever in a playoff game.

Z said...

Thanks for the reminder, Beverly..as a fellow singer, it kills me that nobody's the harmony I'm hearing, but this is a WONDERFUL video and a magnificent lyric/song..thanks.xxx

amarkonmywall said...

New to me, too. Where were you in Michigan?? I'm headed there in a few weeks.

Muddy Monday is absolutely delightful.