Sunday, July 05, 2009

My exciting fourth

I had an exciting fourth. I looked at the doors that go out to my pool this morning, and there lay a black snake on the inside. He must have been 3 feet long, if not longer.

I saw him by the front porch the other day. I'm assuming it's the same one. I thought later I should have grabbed my camera for proof, but I was so shocked at seeing him, all I could think about was getting him out of my house.

When you live alone, there is no one to call for help, so I got a broom and tried to hold him in place while I unlocked the door. He scooted over the broom and started further into the house, but I got him swept out.

I'm sure he was as glad to be outside as I was to have him out. I have no idea when he got in or exactly how, but I'm glad he's out, and I hope that he is happier outside than in. I've learned over the years not to be afraid of them, but it is rather startling to see one inside!

14 comments:

kenju said...

I think even when you know they are not poisonous, you get scared - I know I do. Glad you got him out, but be on the lookout!

podso said...

And I'm glad you didn't include a photo with this post. My imagination is good enough! Glad you took care of him so easily (relatively)

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are a much braver person than I am. A broom, indeed!I would have been climbing the walls.

JeanMac said...

Yikes!

srp said...

I do not like snakes... in any shape or form.
Glad you got rid of him... may he always remain outside!! My skin crawls thinking about it.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

Good Job, Bev! Black snakes are good for the enviroment and you did the right thing, so many people kill them and they are harmless. That said, I don't mean to say I would be HAPPY to have one in my house. We have many of them, a whole family and have seen the little babies they have. But we have a dragon that gets them, his name is Jake, we stop him when we can.
I enjoyed your story, would have loved a picture, me thinks you forgot the camera because he was on the INSIDE!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I'd have to go back in my posts to find the date but I had a snake get into the house. I was alone while my husband was at work (the one or two nights out of the year he works late) and I saw two of my cats in the dark dining room acting funny. Then what do I see but a snake (a small one) reared up acting like it was about to strike. Abby ran right in front of it oblivious that did it for me called into action I grabbed a plastic mop and splat it landed on his neck. I had to stand there over an hour to make sure he was dead and I ended up breaking the mop I had so much pressure on it. But I was stuck. I was so scared afterwards but I did kill him and I think it was a pymgy rattler which is common around here. SCARY!

KGMom said...

Nope--don't like snakes at all. Too many memories of Africa where we assumed a snake was poisonous.

Joy Des Jardins said...

YIKES! Bev, you were a lot calmer than I would have been. I'm not fond of snakes at all. I would have been a wreck...running as far away from him as possible....I think. Good thing you kept your cool.

photowannabe said...

Ohhhh...too scary for me. Even if they are not dangerous, I guess I am a wimp. Being alone, I guess makes you do things that you wouldn't otherwise do..brave lady, Bev.

Wendy said...

Yikes! Yikes! Yikes!!! You are one brave woman! I am glad you got him out of the house! I'd have nightmare for-ever!

Unknown said...

Good little story Beverly. I was recently lying on my bed with the lights still on and looked up to see an enormous spider above my bed. Not quite as dramatic as a 3 foot snake, but definitely a moment where I thought "I wish I wasn't single so someone else could take care of this!"

Z said...

INSIDE!? Holy smoke, Beverly!
I felt goose bumps when you said he scooted OVER THE BROOM! ARRRRGH!
You're a better woman than I AM!
(but I knew that anyway!) xx

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness... squirrels or mice .. maybe.. but a snake... Oh my goodness. You are one very brave lady!!