Thursday, December 10, 2009

Meet Stephen and Charles


Where do the days go? Last week when I posted Nathaniel, I thought I would do a post each day until I had introduced you to all of my All God's Children figurines in my nativity. So much for good intentions. The days have been filled with Sweet Adelines rehearsals, handbell choir rehearsals, and our regular choir rehearsal. Last Saturday our Sweet Adelines chorus presented what has become its annual Christmas program. We entertained with songs ranging from "Let It Snow" (yes, we're in Florida, but most concert attenders are probably snowbirds.) to "What Can I Give Him?" I'm sure most of the snowbirds who were in the audience are glad they are not here and not in the north where the weather is frightful.

Our church choir will be doing our Christmas music at both services on Sunday morning and then Sunday night, Sarah and I are going to hear Sandy Patty in concert in Sarasota. We're really looking forward to that. I commented to her that there is so much going on during the Christmas season that there is not time to see and do all the things one would like.

Let me introduce you to Stephen and Charles. I love Miss Martha's description of the boys. You can almost see a Christmas pageant director interacting with the children, getting them to do their part with all their hearts.

About Stephen she writes: "Stephen showed up for his part as shepherd in the Sunday School Christmas play just a little grumpy because his Mom had taken him away from a great game of basketball. But his sour mood quickly changed to a big grin when Preacher Thomas handed him a real baby lamb. As Stephen picked up the lamb, it started licking his face. Oooooh, he's hungry thought Stephen as he remembered the peanut butter and jelly sandwich squished in his back pocket."

And about Charles: "At dress rehearsal for the Christmas play, Mrs. Sue gave Charles a small gift box he was to carry for the baby Jesus. As he opened the lid to see what treasure was enclosed his heart sank because the box was empty. He quickly ran to his classroom where he tore up small pieces of paper and wrote the same word on each piece. He filled the box with "LOVE."

One of the songs that we sang at our Sweet Adelines Christmas show was the simple song, "What Can I Give Him?" which is actually a poem by Christina Rossetti.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?

If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb.

If I were a wise man, I would do my part,

But what can I give Him, give Him my heart.





10 comments:

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I agree with you Beverly, where does all the time go. Do you realize how soon this year will all be gone? What amazes me is seeing how fast Ella is growing. Nothing like a child to show you how quickly the seasons change.Thank you so much for the lovely surprise and Christmas card. I was very touched.

Island Rider said...

Are you going to be singing at the South Florida Museum on Tuesday? I was thinking of coming if you are.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I've been waiting for your next figurines, and thought you were maybe sick! Glad it turns out you're just very busy. Yes, I do get around, but you're no slouch yourself! I don't travel well at all, so I never go more than one and a half hours away. Love the sweet and charming stories with the figurines. I look forward to the rest! Ella is maturing fast! She no longer interrupts. She says "Ginny, I need to talk to you!". That just started today.So cute and grown up-like. Sabrina taught her that.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Love Stephen and Charles and their stories, and don't worry that you posted later than planned. This is a busy time of year...plans get changed. Your Sweet Adelines show is always a wonderful thing for you. Happy Holidays Bev. Love, Joy

Wendy said...

Time just flies!! I can't believe the year is almost over. Little Ella must be getting big. My little Jasmine will be 3 in January!!

Your figurines are so cute. I wish I could hear your choir. I love singing and would join you in a heartbeat!
Let it snow - I'll send you lots!! LOL.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I want to be Stephen and hold that little lamb. Love the stories. You are a busy bee. i did not see this yesterday, I have been trying to blog every day, but have gone to every other day and that is hard to. i am NOT as busy as you. Keep singing and enjoy Sandi

Fred said...

Just yesterday, it seems as though I was attending the girls' middle school concerts. But now, they'll all be in college next fall.

I'm proud, but will have an empty feeling at night when they're not at home. We all used to sit in the same room and watch TV and goof around.

Clara....in TN said...

Hi Beverly, I love your nativity people. They look so real. And the picture of Ella in your header is just adorable. I hadn't been here in a while. Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! With Love, Clara

Jamie Dawn said...

That photo of Ella at the top of your blog is SO SO SO adorable!! What a precious girl she is!!!!

I'm so glad to hear you are busy with the Sweet Adelines. How fun that must be.

I'm sprinkling you with magic fairy dust to ensure you a MERRY Christmas.
I pray you have a warm, wonderful holiday season and a healthy 2010.
God bless you and your loved ones. I know Ella will bring you great joy this Christmas. Her face will light up with every wonder of the season and every present, of course.
:-)

Putz said...

oh me oh my....WOULD YOU JUST LOOK AT THAT HEADER????OH ME OH MY... MY HEART FLUTTERS....my new year's re4soulution is to keep in touccjh wit beverely, my kid from lattooouchie from catatooochie