Tree-lined streets...so beautiful. Some of the houses here are in the historic section, others on the outskirts. To me, all are beautiful.
We saw many of these houses from the bus. The tour guide described them to us, but I was so busy snapping photos that I didn't get all the details. I must purchase a book about Savannah's houses. The next time I will go, it will not be on a bus.
This particular house is in the historic district....as well as the one below.
This is the garden outside Juliette Gordon Low's house. This one house we did visit, but we weren't allowed to take photos inside. She, as you probably know, founded the Girl Scouts of America. Quite the artist, her home contains oil paintings and sculptures that she did. When she married Mr. Low, they moved to England where she met Lord Baden Powell, who was founder of the Boy Scouts. She, in turn, founded Girl Guides, which later became known as Girl Scouts. Mr. Powell didn't think that girls should or could do what the boys did, but Juliette proved him wrong and changed the name to Girl Scouts.
Our guide said that this house is called the true gingerbread house in Savannah. It reminds me of some of the old homes in Haiti.
16 comments:
Wow, I love all these pictures. The first one of the tree lined street is georgous, did you walk down it? How I would love to! That second house has a bit too much greenery growing on it for my taste, but how stunning the last one is! Not what I think of as a classic gingerbread design, though. What is the tiny house nexy to it? Was it a guest house? Servant's quarters?
you certainly saw a lot of them. I love the Low home and have toured it many times. I also toured the owens thomas house several times. I love all of them, the photos are wonderful and good on mothers day since that is where i remember mother the most.
I vaguely remember seeing some of those on my last trip through there. Savannah is a city that bears closer inspection, and a bus trip is not sufficient, as you see.
Happy Mother's Day, Beverly.
I've been through Savannah a time or two, but I'm partial to Charleston. It seems to have a little more flavor.
I've got some photos of some of the homes in Savannah, I'll have to post them so you can see.
I just love the architecture there!
Your trip to Savannah sounds wonderful. I have only been there once, and then just for one afternoon, just time to have a quick drive around and them be on my way further south. But I want to go back and have time to wander around on foot, what glorious houses and gardens. I loved the Spamish Moss hanging from the trees over the roads.
have you ever been to the oil baren's house in ashbourh north crolina, the ________i can't remember the name>>>costs 50$ to tour the multi level home with light in the basement pool and , doen't binford tools host the tours?????????oh biltmore, my oldsheimer just shifted out of gear
such wonderful houses....love the header.
What incredibly beautiful houses Bev. I don't even think some of them could be called houses...more like estates....certainly mansions. Don't you wonder how they look inside? Gorgeous! ~Joy
You make me want to go and see them for myself. It looks like going back to the pages of Gone With The Wind. Gorgeous.
These are amazing! I wonder if they are as expensive to keep up as the antebellum homes in Mississippi. I knew someone who owned one and their electric bill would be as high as $1200 a month in the winter... even when the winters weren't that bad.
Thank you for a nostalgic trip this morning. We used to live in Charleston and often visited Savannah. It's such a lovely old city. It's good to get a feel for it via a tour and then go back to stroll the streets and get to know the city personally! Wonderful photographs!
Best,
Bonnie
Oooohh - I love your header too! That sounds like a fun trip. I like bus tours, you don't have to worry about driving. Thanks for taking us along. And thank you for your kind words and thoughts on my blog.
Hugs
What awesome homes! and I love the tree lined streets. Very interesting tidbit about Juliette Gordon Low and the Girl Scouts.
You're right...it looks like some of the homes up in Petionville Haiti!
I did some short term mission trips in the early 80's volunteering to work medical clinics throughout the country. Babylon, Grand Godet, Port au Prince and some mountain villages...never knew their names.
Post a Comment