Mother and Daddy were married eight years when I was born. They had lost a son, who was stillborn before me. My father worked in the lumber mill. When the United States entered the war, and all the men went to volunteer to serve, he went along too, but he was classified 4-F and couldn't go. Part of his service consisted of guarding German prisoners of war who were brought to the States to be imprisoned. If you google prisoner of war camps, you will find interesting reading about the activities of the prisoners. I know that being a prisoner was punishment, but their lives were not horrible.
Lacoochee was a company town. The lumber company built housing for the employees, and there was a commissary where employees could shop for things that they needed. There was a hotel, and my mother became the manager of that while my daddy worked at the mill.
After the war was over, my parents left Lacoochee and moved to Bradenton, and that is where I grew up. You'll notice in the above picture that my curls are gone. I gave my mother such fits about brushing my hair, that she took me to the barber shop and had him cut my hair short. I didn't have ringlets any longer, but my hair still had curl and was nice and wavy.I lived in the same house from the time I was four until I went away to college at 17. I graduated from high school with friends that I had been in school with since kindergarten. Today we still see each other and get together for lunch from time to time. In a couple of years there will be that 50 year reunion. I remember remarking on Judy's blog that I used to think only old people graduated from high school that long ago.
One of the special times in Bradenton growing up was being in Brownies and Girl Scouts. Our Brownie troop flew up to Girl Scouts, and we stayed together through high school. During high school some of the girls went on to become Mariner Scouts. I dropped out at that point.I'll continue this exciting story tomorrow...I know you can hardly wait. :-)
9 comments:
Well, I AM looking forward to the rest. You were such a beautiful baby, and I love the childhood progression, especially the scout uniform. I don't think anyone ever took a pic of me in my uniform, or if so, I don't have a copy. Too bad!
These are great pictures. I love the way they used to hand color the black and white portraits with pastels.
Happy, Happy Birthday!!! So many in September! I hope you have a wonderful, magical day tomorrow.
Our BSF Bible study started last Monday night and tonight was our first "official" lesson. I am so excited... this year we are doing Romans.
Happy birthday to you!
You sound as if you certainly had an interesting childhood.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEVERLY!
Happy Birthday Bev,
I loved your story and all the cute photos!
I was in Brownies, but didn't go on to girl scouts. It's wonderful that you're still in touch with elementary school friends. (I have a few as well!)
Happy Birthday, Beverly! Many, many more. Love reading your story. You know I'm a sucker for a good autobiography!
Happy Birthday Beverly! Ironically enough it's my husband's birthday as well today. September is indeed a very birthday filled month. I just had mine two weeks ago today!
Loved the posting. I nearly fell out of my seat, because the last photo of you in the girl scout uniform looks almost like a grade school picture of me. Amazing similiar!
I can't believe I am running so behind on this post!!! Well anyhow...
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday dear Beverly!!!
Happy Birthday to You!!
<(:-D)
And many more!!
PS...I can't get over how much Baby Ella looks like your baby picture!!!
Happy, Happy Birthday. I am sure you have been told this many times... but you were a beautiful baby and young girl. The resemblance between you a wee Ella is amazing :-)
Post a Comment