
I said in an earlier post that I did not like particularly going to my grandma and grandpa's house on "vacation." As I said, my mother looked after her parents to make sure that they had what they needed, and so a couple of times a year we went in the '36 Chevrolet and later the '50 Chevy sedan.
One of the main reason I disliked going was the fact that there was no running water in the house and no indoor plumbing. Many of you know what I'm talking about. When I went to Haiti and found myself using outhouses, it at least was not a shock to my system as it was to some of the missionaries, particularly young wives, who had come from city settings.
One of the main reason I disliked going was the fact that there was no running water in the house and no indoor plumbing. Many of you know what I'm talking about. When I went to Haiti and found myself using outhouses, it at least was not a shock to my system as it was to some of the missionaries, particularly young wives, who had come from city settings.
I found the following poem, which is attributed to James Whitc*mb Riley. However, if you go to this site, you will find that his authorship has been disputed.
The Passing of the Backhouse
When memory keeps me company and moves to smile or tears,
A weather-beaten object looms through the mist of years,
Behind the house and barn it stood, a half a mile or more
And hurrying feet a path had made, straight to its swinging door.
Its architecture was a type of simple classic art,
But in the tragedy of life it played a leading part.
And oft the passing traveler drove slow and heaved a sigh,
To see the modest hired girl slip out with glances shy.
We had our posey garden that the women loved so well;
I loved it too, but better still I loved the stronger smell
That filled the evening breezes so full of homely cheer,
And told the night-o'ertaken tramp that human life was near.
On lazy August afternoons it made a little bower
Delightful, where my grandsirer sat and whiled away an hour.
For there the summer mornings, its very cares entwined,
And berry bushes reddened in the streaming soil behind.
All day fat spiders spun their webs to catch the buzzing flies
That flitted to and from the house, where Ma was baking pies;
And once a swarm of hornets bold had built their palace there,
And stung my unsuspecting Aunt -- I must not tell you where.
My father took a flaming pole -- that was a happy day --
He nearly burned the building up, but the hornets left to stay.
When summer bloom began to fade and winter to carouse,
We banked the little building with a heap of hemlock boughs.
But when the crust is on the snow and sullen skies were gray,
Inside the building was no place where one could wish to stay.
We did our duties promptly, there one purpose swayed the mind;
We tarried not, nor lingered long, on what we left behind.
The torture of the icy seat would make a Spartan sob,
For needs must scrape the flesh with a lacerating cob,
That from a frost-encrusted nail suspended from a string --
My father was a frugal man and wasted not a thing.
When Grandpa had to "go out back" and make his morning call,
We'd bundle up the dear old man with a muffler and a shawl.
I knew the hole on which he sat -- 'twas padded all around,
And once I tried to sit there -- 'twas all too wide I found,
My loins were all too little, and I jack-knifed there to stay,
They had to come and get me out, or I'd have passed away,
My father said ambition was a thing that boys should shun,
And I just used the children's hole 'til childhood days were done.
And still I marvel at the craft that cut those holes so true,
The baby's hole, and the slender hole that fitted Sister Sue,
That dear old country landmark; I tramped around a bit,
And in the lap of luxury my lot has been to sit,
But ere I die I'll eat the fruits of trees I robbed of yore,
Then seek the shanty where my name is carved upon the door.
I ween that old familiar smell will soothe my jaded soul,
I'm now a man, but none the less I'll try the children's hole.
by James Whitc*mb Riley
When my elementary school was remodeled and added onto back in 1995, the architect wanted to keep the flavor of Florida alive in his plans. Our bathrooms jutted out from adjoining classrooms, so when the building was painted, they were painted with crescent moons on the outside.
In reading about outhouses, I read that men's outhouses had stars carved in the door; the ladies' outhouses had moons. After awhile, because the men preferred the ladies' cleaner and neater houses, they finally just used the crescent.
I'm sure some of you have stories that you could tell, and some of the younger ones have never had to experience the "walk down the path."
For some fun facts about outhouses, you can go here.
9 comments:
I was fortunate to have indoor plumbing growing up but traveling to 3rd world countries was a learning experience. Not too fond of sharing my space with spiders, lizards and other creepy crawlys. You do what you have to do and are quick about it.
Great post.
My only experiences with outhouses were during camping trips as a girl. I'm not a fan.
I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that lilac bushes were always planted nearby for their fragrance...
Up until I was 12, my great-grandparents had an outhouse, and I remember well the icy seat of winter and the smell and bees of summer. I hope I never come in contact with another outhouse again!!
I remember a time before my grandmother had a bathroom in the house. There was a shower in the basement and a big round wash tub to bathe in but we had to go to the outhouse. It always scared me at night time and the spiders that lived in the tops were the worst thing. Also that feeling as a child, that you might fall in... ewwwww!
Nope no experiences with outhouses. Just a city girl here. It's funny you post about this because at work yesterday we were talking about outhouses, and some of the men in my office were retelling stories about them.
The link was fun!
My complaint about visiting my grandparents was how bad the water tasted! Slick and soapy and stinky. My folks had to pack several gallons of Home Water to keep me satisfied and hydrated. They did have indoor plumbing but there was an outhouse, just in case, and for emergencies. My cousins told me alligator-in-the-pit stories and about snakes and spiders biting so I never used the outdoor facilities.
Beverly I have many memories about the outhouses when I was young ? The funniest story was in late 50's and early 60's ! In late 50's they started selling land over at lake seminole for fishing gettaways . My parents bought 3 lots close together and so did 5 other familys that worked with my Dad ? They built a 3 seater outhouse for adults and children as a community confort house ? We all were over there one weekend and a bad rain storm with high winds and lightning ! It was built closest to my Dad's place and it was about 6:00 oclock in morning while it was storming and my Dad and me was sitting on back porch drinking coffee and one of His friends had waded up there to visit outhouse and while sitting there and raining down bullfrogs the wind blew the outhouse across the back yard ? That was a sight for sore eyes and at same time a big bolt of lightning struck and thunder roared and don't say a man cain't pull up his britches while running as quick as he could to where my Dad and me were sitting on porch! The man said he didn't know if God was punishing him or if it was the Devil having fun ? Blessings . Ron.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. How memories must fly through the canopies that keep the sky at bay so that we may enjoy the sunshine of days gone by.
Post a Comment