Friday, July 27, 2007

Under the Sea

Tank after tank of fish and sea life were available for viewing at the aquarium. Many, many displays and lots of people there. Here and there in small areas seated on the floor were docents with their young charges, teaching about the wonders of the sea and the need for conservation.
Several tanks had eels. I wouldn't want to meet one of them at any time. They do indeed have a menacing look.
Camouflage is a wonderful provision of protection for the creatures. I believe this is a spongefish. At first glance, one does not necessarily see the fish, but on closer look, one can see the eyes, the mouth, and the fins.
This tank reminded me of the couple of times that I went snorkeling off the coast of Haiti...truly a different world to behold. I think God had a wonderful sense of humor and great imagination when He created some of our lifeforms. If you click on the photos, you can, of course, see them in greater detail. In the last photo, if you click on it, you can find Nemo. His name seems to be universal. When I was standing looking at these tanks, I kept hearing "There's Nemo...there's Nemo."
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

photowannabe said...

Yep, I found him too. Great shots at the aquarium. They are sometimes hard to get to turn out.

Susie said...

Gorgeous undersea life!!
Your pictures turned out so well..
:)

Karen Townsend said...

Nemo! Cute. My husband and son love to eat eel sushi!

My son dearly loves snorkeling. So far his best memories are from our trip to Hawaii, The Big Island and snorkeling at a little private lagoon the hotel owned. He found a sea snake hole of some kind.

Nemo.

kenju said...

We snorkled in Hawaii and also Cancun/Isla Mujeres and I loved it! I love to see movies of underwater scenes, and IMAX has a great one, although it shows the devastation of the reefs due to pollution and global warming. It is scary.

kenju said...

(Should that say reeves?)

Karen Townsend said...

Also, here in the Gulf of Mexico, the oil companies sink rigs not used anymore which develop into glorious habitats for fishes. They thrive.

I've seen exhibits of the use of the steel and it's incredible. So much for the evil oil companies by the sheeple. Workers on oil rigs can attest to the excellent fishing offshore!

Good guys in the Gulf, protecting the fishies and providing fuel for our country. Imagine that.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos.. so much vivid colour. And I did find Nemo. :-)

Anonymous said...

Beverly-
[CTRL] [SHIFT] [+] makes text size bigger.
or
View > Text Size > Increase