Sunday, September 02, 2007

Football, football, football

First of all, it is too hot to go to a football game in August in Florida. A couple of years ago, my friend Peggy asked me if I'd like to get a season's ticket for the local high school team. I thought, "Why not?" So I got those tickets and went to the first game, which was some time in August...hot and humid. It was hot sitting in those bleachers. I can't begin to imagine what it was like on the field for the football players and for the members of the band in those uniforms.

I had not been to a high school football game since 1959 when I was a senior in high school. Returning to the stadium just a few blocks from my home where I had watched football games since I was a child was a real eye opener. When I was in high school, we were still segregated, so everything was lily white. Girls came to the games reasonably attired. I won't say any more here. Vicki recently went to a Cubs game at Wrigley field and described quite well some of the attire there. If you read her description, you can transpose that here...maybe not quite so bad.

I had tickets last year, but I did not use many of them since I went to be with my son and his family in Virginia. So I'm trying again this year. Did I think it would be cooler? Not really, but I was hoping. Friday night when I went, there was a little bit of a breeze, but it quieted down. The game was not too exciting either. The home team, one of the larger high schools in the county was playing another high school, which is not nearly as large and has a hard time fielding a good team. So the game was not too interesting. I left after half-time and came home to my cool house and got geared up for Saturday's game.

When my son went to Penn State, I began following the Nittany Lions and have, since 1998, watched their games with Penn State alums and friends at a sports bar in Sarasota. It's always a great time, especially when the favorite team is winning. They've had some rough years lately, but seem to be on the upswing again. Yesterday was a game between a storied team and FIU, a commuter university in Miami that only instituted a football program in 2002. I believe the newspaper said that they had not won a game at all last season. The game ended up being a blowout for Penn State (59-0.) JoePa tries not to run up the score, but even with the third string team in, they scored.

The favorite moment of the day was when the game was over, and the TV switched over to the last few moments of the Michigan-Appalachian State game. Wow! That was probably Penn State's favorite moment. (Sorry, Vicki, if you're reading this.) One article said this morning that Michigan probably figured this game would be a tuneup for the regular conference play. They got the shock of their lives. As one Penn Stater said, "You know good and well that when we play them, they're going to be madder than h*ll."

I asked someone when I first started watching the games why these smaller schools play the big boys, and the answer was "money." I read this morning that Appalachian State took home $400,000 from the game.

Everyone was saying, "Where is Appalachian State?" I would have won the trivia prize yesterday. Back when, Appalachian State was Appalachian State Teachers College, and it was located in Boone, North Carolina. (It still is.) Teachers from Florida would go there in the summers to work on graduate degrees because they could escape the Florida heat and go to school at the same time. Not a bad idea!

As has often been said, anyone can be beaten on any given day.

And for all the undue emphasis on athletics, I still love it. I love college football. I even love baseball, even the Tampa Bay Rays, who one of these days, are going to win lots of games.

13 comments:

Babette said...

There was much excitement in my household over the MSU victory and the U of M defeat, Beverly! You are a boon to blogdom, by the way! Hugs and prayers for Ella!

Big Dave T said...

Saw your little taunt over at that Spartan woman's blog so I thought I would check out your blog here. Not bad. A lot of blue. Nothing wrong with going blue.

So you're a Nittany Lion fan, eh. True, they haven't been the team they used to be but I believe they were a powerhouse once. Might have been before your time, though.

Our Wolverines have had some great success against the Nittany Lions lately. I remember a fantastic game that came down to the last minute when Henne connected with a TD pass to spoil Paterno's chances for a national championship and an undefeated season a couple years ago.

Did our teams play last year? If so, I think we beat you again. Can't remember, though.

Good luck this season. Our's was one and done unfortunately.

Babette said...

Will poor Dave ever stop singing the blues?

Anonymous said...

I've never enjoyed football mostly because I don't understand it. So going to games is not my cup of tea. I do enjoy marching bands though...your friends description is funny!
Take care and Happy Labor Day to you and yours!
:)

Climenheise said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, celebrating Penn State. The blog you saw my comment on (Go Penn State!) is my sister, who is a real fan. My son attends Penn State as a grad student, so I guess I can celebrate their win. But up here in the north we play three down football, on a field 110 yds long, with offensive players (except for those on the line) allowed to move before the snap (so that the ends are running towards the line of scrimmage as the ball is snapped). Canadian football! I'm a socdcer player, not a footb all player, but I enjoy watching Penn State and cheering them on.

KGMom said...

Beverly--here I am, returning your visit. Thanks for stopping by. And I am commenting right below my dear brother! He is being modest--his son attends Penn State, yes, but he is in the math doctoral program. That's a pretty big deal to me!
And I confess, my husband and I are PSU fans. The background info on FIU was most interesting. I thought their coach looked like a very decent guy--and came decked out in a tie out of respect for JoePa!

srp said...

I went to high school in Pennsylvania and Penn State was the best. I always have respected Coach Paterno as he emphasizes his player's education. He and Tom Landry were such the gentlemen.

I think William and Mary lost their first game. Penn State is still on Nyssa's list for grad school as is Oklahoma, Miami and University of Florida. She says her "reach" grad school is MIT.. they have the premier expert in hurricanes and he has just had all his grad students finish their degrees... so still a possibility. I do hope this is not as nerve wrecking as the college admission scene was.

photowannabe said...

College football is so much fun. I just love the spirit. Hope you can enjoy some of the games.

AC said...

I must have missed Vickie's description of a Cubs game. At the recent Braves/Reds game, everyone was dressed reasonably though it was over 100* but what shocked me wasa the amount of junk food consumed by the two kids sitting in front of us! Three solid hours of very expensive snacking while the two dads talked business the whole game. The tally was really really high and probably amounted to way more than our excellent seats cost!

Boone NC is such a beautiful area. Yea on ASU! Still I have to admit I only get excited about football when Peyton plays. I guess I'm a little overdone by UT orange all day everyday all year long. Now if you'd like to discuss the squeeze play???

Anvilcloud said...

As a Canadian, I find it amusing to think of going to North Carolina to cool off in the sumer.

JeanMac said...

Butt crack and muffin tops - now there's a visual! Gave me my morning laugh as I ate my muffin - - -
You brought back a lot of memories - I used to be a cheer leader for the HS football team - couldn't do those moves now - and we wore long sleeve tops:)

L. said...

Thanks for your wonderful comments on my blog...I hope that you know that I do respond to you on my comments section on Awaiting Buddha.

: )
XOXO
Grammie

Anonymous said...

I must admit to not being much of a football fan, but many of the younger generation of my family live and breathe the game.