Sunday, November 11, 2007

And a good time was had by all

This past weekend, I, along with 29 other ladies from my church attended the Women of Faith conference in Tampa. I became acquainted with this group by way of radio about twelve years ago. I listened to a report of these meetings popping up around the country, and I decided that if there was ever one near me, I would be there. The next year I attended one in Lakeland. After that it moved to Orlando, and now this year, for a larger venue, it was held in Tampa.

It is a great weekend of laughing, crying, being encouraged by women who have met with success, many of them facing uphill battles and yet triumphing through God's love and grace and mercy.

Many of you have seen the video of the crazy lady doing the William T*ll Overture, recounting her day's activities with her children. She was there as she has been for the last two or three years. Seeing that was almost worth the price of admission.

Nicole C. M*llen was there. What a dynamo! With her she had a group of young people whom she mentors and takes with her on these weekends to dance and sing praise to God. With her was her nephew, the little boy, who at 4, won the Oscar Ma*er Wiener singing contest. You may have seen him on O*rah some time ago when she had him on.

The speakers were great, but to me the highlight of the time was hearing Sandi Pat*y sing. As one said, she probably has the greatest singing voice of our day. She doesn't just sing. She really gets the message across with her interpretation and the orchestration that accompanies her singing.

I leave you with the song that most struck a chord with me. In these days of uncertainty, we have a mighty God, a mighty fortress. You can read some of the history of this hymn here

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

8 comments:

kenju said...

I grew up singing that hymn, Beverly, and I always loved it. Now I go to a church that has modern music, and I often miss the old hymns and the solemnity with which we sang them.

Karen Townsend said...

That song brings back lots of memories of lots and lots of church services as I grew up. We sang it frequently and our music director played it on the huge old antique pipe organ. It was so regal sounding.

I am a sucker for the old hymns.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful hymn, and as timely today as ever it has been. Thanks for the reminder!

Susie said...

Glad you had such a meaningful gathering. Old hymns bring back wonderful memories.
xo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time and they are getting better and better with time. Maybe I'll make the next one that comes to Columbus!
=)

Unashamed said...

Hi Beverly - I am visiting you back...I've heard of the Women of Faith conferences on American radio (we can pull in WDCX from Buffalo here) but they never seem to come to Canada. Maybe one day! "A Mighty Fortress" - an oldie but a goodie, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Women inspiring women. Powerful stuff.

Froggymama said...

Good for you. I think my mom attended a "Women of Faith" conference. I'll have to ask her about it. Sounds like you had a lovely time.