Who would have known that on May 3, 2001 a black furball of a kitten would
come into this world and then two days later steal my heart. Sheila, a lady
I worked with in NC, came in a said a momma cat had adpoted her family and
had kittens. I couldn't wait to see them, there was one black one and two
tiger striped. At some point in going over to see the kittens day after
day, I was holidng the black one and he fell asleep. I made the comment
that he was "tuckered out". Thus the name Tucker came into being for this
blue eyed black fuzzy furball. I was adamant that I would have him, so I
wrote a letter to my land-lady asking if I could have this kitten. She
didn't want pets in the house I was renting, but I told her that I would be
sure to have the carpets cleaned and everything when I left. She said YES!
So, after 6 or 8 weeks, Tucker came to live with me. Not too long after, I
moved back to FL (Sept 2001). So we took our first road trip together...
and like me... he doesn't fare well in moving vehicles when he is a
passenger. Go figure! He got to be cooped up in my room at my mom's house
for what seemed like forever to him I'm sure... except for the few times he
got out only to go torment Color. She was not very pleased to have this
youngster in her house. Thankfully, we didn't stay too long and moved into
the house I am in now.
He has enjoyed the windows, the doors being open, listening to the birds and
watching the lizards. We've had our good times and our bad times. The bad
times being losing my dad and then earlier this year the discovery of a mass
on Tucker's side and finding out it was cancer. In May we had it removed,
only for it to return at the beginning of August and grow ferociously since
then. The surgeon would not remove the tumor again and
chemotherapy/radiation would not have helped at all. We tried a holistic
vet and she recommended some herbs that might help slow the growth of the
tumor. We tried the herbs but then Tucker got tired of my making his wet
food taste gross so we stopped using them.
This Thanksgiving weekend, I noticed he was not eating very much, if at all,
and he was sleeping ALOT. The tumor is finally taking all his energy. He
hesitates to jump up on things because this mass is so big it gets in the
way and hurts him. I realized in all of this, it is coming time to say good
bye to my baby, my Tucker. He has been my best friend and constant
companion for 6 1/2 years. I would do anything for this boy, I love him so
much. Some people say, "he is just a cat". Oh they are sorely mistaken. He
is my family. We know each other better than we know ourselves. I will
miss him sitting here on the computer desk, or climbing up on me to take a
nap in my lap or on my chest... messing with the blinds because he wants to
look outside... and getting that look in his eye when I would say the word
"treat"... the other T word he knows besides his name.
So, I said good bye to my baby today, November 27th.... He will be with my
dad and be able to run around after mice and lizards and watch the birds in
that special place in heaven I believe God has for our beloved pets.
With sadness,
Sarah





14 comments:
Oh Sarah, I cannot begin to express my sorrow for you! I know you will miss your beloved pet and companion!
I had to send my cat away to another family due to severe allergies...I often wonder and fret about how he is doing, but at least you know your sweet pet is in a happy and safe place, and that you did your very best for him while he lived here on earth. Please comfort yourself with that thought!
((((hugs))))
You have written a beautiful tribute about that special member of your family. I'm sorry you had to make the final decision but I too believe God has a wonderful place reserved for the creatures He created and said it was good.
A special hug to you
Sue {{HUGS}}
Sarah, I am SO sorry. I have prayed every day for Tucker, ever since your mom told me that he was sick. I wish he could have gotten well.
Dear Sarah,
What a beautiful and touching tribute to your best friend and close companion, Tucker.
It sounds as though he had a very good life with you and was very loved. Please feel some satisfaction in your heart for the wonderful years of life that you gave to him.
I am so sorry for your loss and totally understand your sadness.
Fondly,
Grammie, a fellow cat lover...
I'm so sorry, Sarah. Tucker was a fine looking kitty.
I love the pics and feel so badly - it's so sad to lose a pet. Hope it's a bit of consolation that you gave such a loving home to a special kitty.
I'm sorry, Sarah. I know too well what missing Tucker feels like. Precious kitty, loved companion.
This is always such a truly sad time. I lost one of my beloved cats this past July and it broke my heart. I know how much this hurts and can offer only my sincerest condolences.
Know that many care.
http://winnipeg-blog.blogspot.com/search/label/Cats
Beverly
I am so sorry...please let Sarah know we are keeping her in our prayers...
And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, I am most able
To decide anything for myself
Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly.
For my human friends are troubled.
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.
But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That you souls are intertwined for all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is...forever and ever and ever.
Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat.
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am...forever and ever and ever.
God bless....
I am so sorry you lost your best friend. What a beautiful cat. I had a black one named Twinkie and she didn't make it through tumour operation. When my husband told me, I was in the bath tub and i filled that tub full with my tears. You never forget them. I'm teary right now even.
Dear Sarah, this is such a loving tribute to your dear friend. I am so very sorry for your loss. Tucker was as lucky to have you as you were to have him. ((hugs))
Beverly--please tell Sarah how sad and sorry i am to read that she had to say goodbye to Tucker.
It is always SOOOO hard when we must leave our pets go.
They live on forever in our hearts, and we are grateful for the love they shared with us, but OH MY do we ever miss them!
Awww, how cute that you named him Tucker because he was all "tuckered out."
I'm so sorrow for your loss of your beloved pet.
Heavenly pets sound like a reality to me!!
Oh Sarah, I am so sorry for your loss. Our animal friends love us without judgment and in many ways are the truest friends we have. Tucker was blessed to have you and you to have him.
Your post reminded me of another Tucker who passed on just a year ago. Now, his housemate Tanyah has followed...another victim to that awful disease.
My heaven will have animals of all kinds... I do so look forward to conversations with them, don't you?
Post a Comment