Wednesday, November 28, 2007

God's Faithfulness

I've written a little about the fact that I lived and worked in Haiti many years ago before I was married. I learned many lessons while there. I lived among people who had very little of this world's goods, and I think I learned not to hold onto anything too tightly.

A custom on New Year's Day was to take everything out of the house and wash it out completely so that one could start the New Year all clean. That was not a hard thing for them to do. I try to get rid of stuff and there seems to be more all the time, rather than less.

Recently tropical storm Noel passed through the Dominican Republic and Haiti, dumping much rain and leaving death and destruction in its path. I recently read an e-mail from a lady who works there and her experience of attending church on the Sunday after the waters had receded.

I leave her note with you for your consideration.

Singing to the Lord After the Flood

Sunday morning there was a break in the rain. The welcome sun shone through and our church family in Torbeck gathered. In the days before, the flood waters in Torbeck had filled the church up to the height of the bench seats.

Many church members had suffered loss as heavy rains fell day after day. One lady of the church, Monique, had her house washed away. Others put their children up on the rafters as they watched the water run through their houses, two or three feet deep. Others lost important papers, household supplies and livestock. No one had lost family members.

The waters had run off now, the church was swept out, and the people came to God’s house to praise and thank Him for His protection during the flood. Their voices filled the damp church building (in the Creole language):
Great is Thy faithfulness
Great is Thy faithfulness
Morning by morning
new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand has provided,
Great is Thy
faithfulness, Lord unto me.

Through the flood they had experienced God’s hand of protection, and they sang His praise with all their hearts. Can you imagine their songs of thanks? We all thank you for your prayers. Join them in thanks for God’s faithfulness and provisions in their time of need. Pray with us that the testimonies of their lives will point hungry hearts to Jesus. Join us in praying too that their needs will continue to be met, through international aid or personal gifts.

10 comments:

Ruth said...

"All I have needed thy hand had provided..." These people understand what is of eternal value. Wonderful post. Hope you write more about your experiences in Haiti.

Anonymous said...

This is a very humbling post!
Thanks for sharing!

JeanMac said...

A powerful post - we have so much.

photowannabe said...

I saw the same thing in my 2 weeks in Haiti. A lovely people that shared what little they had. We have so much and still want more. Living in a third world country is a real eye opener and a heart tugger too.

Beverly said...

a thoughtful post...when I read about others tragedy, I am so thankful, almost to the point of being scary. I hope they receive many blessings in the days to come.

Simply Coll said...

We have so much and at the same time take so much for granted. This post helps put it in prospective.

KGMom said...

Beverly--we have friends at church who have gone to Haiti several times. They are doctors and have been very actively involved in Albert Schweitzer Hospital.
Even though I grew up in Africa, Haiti seems like one of the most destitute places on earth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. That's one of my all-time favorite hymns, anyway, and in this context, it means so much more.

As you know, one of my sponsored girls lives on the south coast of the Dominican Republic, in a community that was hard hit by the post-storm flooding. I have yet to hear how she is, and your post lifts my heart with the hope and the knowledge that she, her family, and all in her community are still in God's hands.

Anonymous said...

PS...today is Dec 1 and I just thought I would let you know that Susie has opened her comments if you would like to go and be an encouragement.

Jamie Dawn said...

How neat!
I can just imagine them cleaning up the church and readying it for the service after the floodwaters had passed.
I am so glad no one lost their lives that attended that church!!!
I like the idea of cleaning out things each new year and starting fresh.