Friday, September 12, 2008

The aftermath of Fay, Gustav, Hanna, and Ike

I wrote briefly about Haiti this past week and the devastation of the four storms on this very poor island nation. I received an e-mail that contained a link to a video journal from the Miami Herald. I challenge you to watch it. It is not for the faint of heart.


Another blogger posted this.


Besides showing the sorrow and feeling of hopelessness of these people, the photographer has work here that, if I were nominating for an award, he would surely win it.


I think of the people in Texas today who are steeling themselves for Ike, either by fleeing or hunkering down. I know how I feel whenever the season starts and that first storm starts to form in the Atlantic, wondering what its path will be. It isn't a good feeling.


My heart breaks for these dear souls in the Caribbean who lose everything they have during the storms...homes, food, means of livelihood, and lives.

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi Bev, thanks for the update. Sorry, I couldn't watch that video. I got to the part where they showed the dead bodies and had to turn it off.
I am glad you posted the warning "not for the faint of heart", so I was prepared....
God bless those poor people.

Shammickite said...

I watched the video. Those poor people. How can they carry on with their lives? But they will, somehow.
It makes me realise just how lucky I am.

photowannabe said...

Beverly, it makes my heart ache too. My memories of being there 2 years ago are still so fresh in my mind. Such poverty and hopelessness on many faces.
Thanks for sharing the video and other link too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. The video is very graphic, isn't it? This is what we need to wake up and see that there are very serious needs out there, and we can help. One way to help is to give to Compassion's Haiti Hurricane Relief Fund at: https://www.compassion.com/contribution/giving/haiti-flooding-crisis.htm

Also -- the greatest help we can help, still, is to sponsor a child and make the commitment to see them through school -- it's only about $1.00/day. After Hurricane Georges (years ago), I asked a missionary doctor there what happened to the people in these crisis. How do they eat? She said to me, "Well, of course, the children that were on Compassion didn't miss a single meal." That's when I called Compassion and asked to sponsor a child the first time -- in 1988. I'm still sponsoring the brother of the first boy I sponsored back then. If anyone would like a child packet from Haiti, I'll be glad to send you one!

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are certainly with those people as well as those in the path of Ike tonight. I am really concerned about those who were either unable or unwilling to evacuate the Galveston area.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, as hard as it is to look, one has to. My heart goes out to those living with such devastation.

Z said...

I couldn't watch most of it, either..........it's important to see the really rough stuff, though.......to see what's really happening.

And pray. Hard. thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to Juli's post. I tho't it was so poignant.

Uh...Juli's not the only one who can provide packets! :o) But clicking on the widget on this blog will work, also.

KGMom said...

Nature simply overwhelms us at times. We need to do all we can to alleviate the incredible human suffering left behind.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos, as you said, Beverly. The pain was palpable.

Mother of Invention said...

These people have been hit hard again and again. I guess it comes with the territory of living there but then many haven't had the choice of where to live. My recent visit to Texas sure gave me insight into the real fear of these hurricanes. We were lucky it didn't affect dallas much at all. We got more at home near Toronto!