Friday was my birthday. My son forgot. He called last night, horrified that he had forgotten and all apologetic. I told him not to worry, that I hadn't been sitting by the phone waiting for his call. I knew he would remember sooner or later. He told me that he had talked to Sarah yesterday, and while they were talking, it struck him that he had forgotten. When we finally did connect by phone, we had a nice conversation. Ella even said, "Happy birthday, Grammy!" He tried to get her to sing "Happy birthday," but after a while she ended up singing "Baa-baa, black sheep."
Then this morning I was out and about, and my phone rang. It was my friend Peg, calling. She, too, had forgotten. She said she was trying so hard not to forget her new daughter-in-law's birthday that she overlooked mine.
We had a long chat about this and that. I came on home and started doing stuff. Power went off for about an hour. I was sitting here like a trapped animal...no lights, no internet. My car is in the garage, and I don't think I have the strength to raise it up manually. Anyway, after about an hour, the lights came on and then the doorbell rang.
I first of all thought that David had sent the arrangement, but he told me last night that they have my present in Virginia, and if this had been from them, it would have been way too much. They're going to take me to Washington D.C. for a weekend when I go up in October. I am so excited about that. I've only been once, and it was in the summer when I thought I would perish in the heat. So I can hardly wait to go in cooler weather.
When I turned the card over and saw it was from Peg, I was so pleased. She really shouldn't have, but it's so nice that she did. So now I have all this luscious fruit. It's much too much for me. I wish you all could come over and help me eat it.

19 comments:
I WISH I could come and enjoy it with you! That looks great. Seems there are good perks to someone forgetting your birthday, huh?
You will really enjoy DC in cooler weather, Beverly. I wish my daughter could be your tour guide - she knows everyplace in the city and surroundings and she's able to drive to them and find a parking place, too!
Ummmmm - those strawberries are delicious! Thank you! Ummmmm.
I am glad you have an outing to look forward to in October. Cooler weather will make it more pleasant for sure.
Seems like you're having an extended birthday - yippeeeee!
Happy Birthday!!!
I'll be right over...
How about we make a chocolate dip for it - would be gone in short order.Very beautiful.
Happy birthday several times over.
May as well celebrate as many times as you want. I think you've earned that.
The very best Happy Birthday to you. I wish I could be there to give you a hug and sample that yummy fruit.
Baa baa black sheep sung by your sweetie is a real gift in itself.
ok i will be right over, wait a minute, how many miles is it to the sticks from the sticks where i live 2000 miles from utar to lachoochee from watoochee,,,,i am glad you have such a nice birthday....love the putz
Beverly! Bonne Anniversaire (French for Happy Birthday)!! I wish I could come over and eat it with you.
I admire your sweet spirit which doesn't succumb to discouragement about day late calls.
I remember reading a story from Madeleine L'Engle once, about all the expectations she had for her birthday which never were fulfilled. Finally, she decided she should throw her own parties, which she did, and then she could never complain again.
I think the two of you are very wise.
p.s. I left you something on my blog.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR BEVERLY! GORGEOUS fruit and a wonderful post!
Thanks!! xx z
Birthday blessings, Beverly!
Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday!
Your fruit looks so yummy. Maybe you can freeze what you don't eat right away and use it in smoothies.
Just a thought..
xo
Happy Belated B-day, Beverly!!!!!
My dad's b-day was on Monday.
That fruit arrangement looks scrumptious!!
I'd LOVE to help you eat it! I hope you are enjoying every tasty morsel.
Peg sent you a wonderful gift, and your upcoming trip will be wonderful too, as well, in addition.
I bet you didn't mind Ella singing Baa Baa Black Sheep instead of Happy Birthday.
My birthday was Saturday! We should form a club!
Give me your address and 15 minutes, and I'll help you eat that fruit! Uh...wait a minute...it takes me 45 minutes, this time of day, to get to the airport.... Sorry, the fruit will go bad (or be eaten!) before I can get there.
Late birthday blessings!
Another September birthday! happy, happy!!!!
Mmmmm....can you ship some of that luscious fruit to Birmingham?
Enjoy!
Happy belated b-day! What a fabulous idea for a present! Better than cake for diabetics like me! I'd be over helping you eat that if I were a tad closer!
Happy Belate Birthday Beverly. What a lovely gift and one that is good and healthy. YOU have great friends...
OH!! How very lovely! Happy Belated Birthday Beverly. I wish I could pop over and give a birthday hug as well as perhaps help with the eating. :-)
Belated happy birthday, Bev. What a lovely post! Love your pictures! Lizard included ...
Post a Comment