
My beautician, or hair stylist, as they are called these days, opened her own shop recently about 20 minutes from where I live. I used to have to drive all of two minutes to get there. She's worth the drive, and really, in our county, nothing is far away.
I stopped in Palmetto for some breakfast on the way home, and as I was driving through town I saw a very familiar sight. Standing on the corner waiting to cross was a trainer with a Southeast Guide Dog puppy. Southeastern Guide Dogs is located in Manatee County, north of the river. They raise and train dogs to be placed with blind people, and now are training service dogs as well.
From time to time at the UPS store, or the grocery store, or anywhere you might find yourself, you will see someone with their guide dog puppy, patiently working with them, getting them accustomed to being around people without wanting to play or respond. It is SO HARD not to reach out and pet them or talk to them.
The folks who raise these puppies are a dedicated bunch, taking that puppy in their home to love them, train them, and then give them up when the time comes for further training.
After the dogs begin their training with their new owners, they can be seen on the streets of our town learning to guide across the streets and maneuver on the sidewalks. I always get a little teary-eyed when I see them. The dogs literally give their lives to help someone.
One day when I was at the vet's office with my cat, someone came in with a huge box filled with collie puppies. They were there for their checkups, and I believe, were destined to become guide dogs. That reminds me of the story I read about the man who took his litter of lab puppies to the vet for their shots. As the vet would give one puppy his shots, he wet his forehead with some water, so that he would remember which ones he had treated, and which ones he had not. Finally the man said, "Oh, I didn't know you baptized them too."
An interesting article about the training program for the dogs in a correctional facility can be seen here.
"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe, we are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." --Roger Caras
8 comments:
Excellent post and beautiful picture. I considered acquiring a guide dog a few years ago. Still mightsome time in the future.
wow...what a cute puppy dog!!
It would be hard not to want to pet that cute little thing!!
:-D
wow...what a cute puppy dog!!
It would be hard not to want to pet that cute little thing!!
:-D
Darling pup!
I loved the baptism part of the story :-)
Hi Beverly, cool post, I love dogs
and I like the part about the baptism too! :)
and thanks for stopping by today!
hope you like your CD, which one of Chris Rice's did you get?
take care
That puppy is too cute. I know if I came upon one I would make the mistake of trying to pet it. The vet story was funny.
How adorable is that photo!! Bless the dogs and their trainers.
One of my favorite stories as a child was a book called "Follow My Leader". I must have read it ten times. While not a classic literature story, it always brought a little tear.
Post a Comment