Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I've been giving a lot of thought these last few days to things that I'm thankful for. On Sunday our pastor had a wonderful service. His message dealt with praising God.
After each section, we sang a capella a fitting song. We are to praise God for His great works. We are His great work, aren't we, fearfully and wonderfully made. "To God be the Glory" was the song that we sang--"To God be the glory, great things He hath done. So loved He the world that He gave us His Son."
Then we are to praise Him for His faithfulness to His flock. "Great is thy faithfulness, Oh God, my Father, there is no shadow of turning with Thee. Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not. As thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.
Next we are to praise Him for His unique Majesty. There is none other like Him. "Majesty, worship His majesty. Unto Jesus, be all glory, honor and praise...So exalt, lift up on high the name of Jesus. Magnify, come glorify Christ Jesus as king. He is great, all sufficient, all powerful, holy.
The verse "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." But God, am I supposed to be thankful that my husband was taken so suddenly and senselessly? Am I supposed to be thankful that my little granddaughter was born with cystic fibrosis? But the verse says, "In everything." So thank you, God, even though I may not understand, You have a master plan, and You are sovereign over our lives.
I'm reminded of Corrie ten Boom, who wrote that while she and Betsy were in the concentration camp, they thanked God for lice...lice! Because of the lice, the guards would not come near them to do them harm.
Happy Thanksgiving! Have a wonderful day with your family and friends.
7 comments:
I do believe that in everyday there are gratitudes. Lovely post.
It is hard for me to be thankful for even the bad stuff but I'm working on it, too.
I wish you and those dear to you a Happy Thanksgiving and an upcoming year of blessings.
I have also struggled...no, I also struggle...to thank God for the stuff that looks and feels bad.
Years ago, I read something--don't know what or by whom--but the writer said she had listened to her grandmother praising God with every gasping breath during an asthmatic attack. Asked how she could praise God, during such moments, she said, "My dear, I can always praise Him for who He is!"
I try to remember that. I really do try. Someone please remind me, now and then!
Happy Thanksgiving Bev!
I know you count little Ella as one of your sweetest blessings this year!
It's like the story of the man who saw only one set of footprints during the hard times of life and thought God wasn't walking beside him. During the hard times we must praise Him because not only is God with us... He carries us when we cannot walk ourselves.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I don't understand either, but I am comforted by your words. And to be reminded that lice were put here for a reason, if only just that one!
Again, Happy Thanksgiving!
The same to you Beverly!
Post a Comment