I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. Sarah and I went out with friends of mine from church. The Holiday Inn Riverfront has a buffet every year, and this year it was pretty decent. Way too much food, though. On Friday morning, Sarah and I went up to north Florida to visit my cousins. When I blogged about my cousin's cabin, Sarah was intrigued by it so we decided to make the trip.
Better than seeing the cabin was visiting with my cousins. Sarah hadn't seen them since she was very young, so it was a good time of connecting and renewing acquaintances. Their lives are busy, but they live in a country setting, quiet and peaceful, which is so different from the everyday busyness that goes on around here.
Going into the holiday season brings a little sadness. I remember the first year after my husband's death, we sort of went through the motions of the holidays, feeling rather dazed. The next year I thought it would be better, but it was worse, I think. The numbness had worn off, and the realization of his absence from us was felt even more. Even now, there is a wistfulness as we move into the holiday season.
I used to have big parties and have lots of friends in during the holidays, but I hadn't done much of that in recent years. So Sarah said, "Mom, let's have an open house this year." So, we're going to. I look forward to having the laughter of friends in the home.
We made a list the other day of whom we would invite and then a list of what we would have. Sarah said, "Mom, just make the stuff that we used to have." So, there won't be an updated menu, but I don't think anyone will mind.
I did something that I haven't done in a long time. I went to W**-Mart. I had decided when the new Publix opened, I would shop there, even if things were more expensive. I would go in, get what I needed, and not be tempted to look at all the stuff. I miss the W**-Mart of old when we would go and see friends there that we hadn't seen for a while and talk and talk.
I must say that I stayed with my list, and I wasn't tempted by all the stuff that used to draw me. Maybe I've grown up, or I'm just too tired.
The bell ringer was out front from Salvation Army. That's a good thing I can say for the store. Inside the store Christmas music was playing. I guess they've decided to say Merry Christmas again. I was a bit bothered by the music though. They were playing the beautiful Christmas hymn, "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming." I thought that it was rather out of place. Such a beautiful hymn, but it seemed so out of place. Perhaps someone heard the words and it made a little impression.
So it's off to begin preparing for the open house. I wish you could come.
6 comments:
Oh...your open house sounds like so much fun!!
I'm loving my Rose of Bethlehem CD by the contemporary Christian group Selah...my daughter dubbed it off for me and I listened to it while on my way to Kroger's just now...it speaks more to the real Heart of Christmas and not to the commercialism...
(((hugs)))
If someone would take a few pictures and tell us about the decorations and food... we could all join in! What fun you will have. It is just the thing to realize how many friends are there to surround you with love.
I hope your Christmas open house fills your heart with happiness!
Being with friends and loved ones during the Christmas Season helps make new memories to remember throughout the year.
((hugs))
I don't know what it is about the holiday season that fills me with a wistful feeling. Sometimes I realize how tiny my immediate family is and how we have lost so many in recent years. It takes me back to earlier times in childhood when the house was filled with activity and people. It also makes me secretly wish for that to return.
I am sure your open house will be a wonderful success. I look forward to sharing it with you. We can all be there in spirit.
Well, the consolation is that perhaps I will see you sooner rather than later as we start our Florida time soon.
I'll be excited to hear more about your plans- what will you serve from previous times :-) and so forth.
I know what you mean about shopping- the older I get the less I'm attracted to bringing home misc. stuff. Less is now more.
I always carry extra dollars these days before Christmas- I love the Salvation Army bell ringers and the work they do.
I wish I could come too. :-). Your post reminded me of the open house my parents held every Christmas Eve. What fun we had.
Post a Comment