Monday, November 27, 2006

Poetry for Cats

I was straightening up a book shelf tonight and found this book which had gotten behind some others. The title of the book is Poetry for Cats. It is described as "The Distinguished Anthology of Destinguished Feline Verse." My daughter took this to her English teacher in high school, and she used some of the poems on a test to see if the students could identify the author by the style of the poem.

The photo of my cat doesn't quite suit this poem, but it will do. Besides, I love this photo of her.

Sitting By the Fire on a Snowy
Evening

by Robert Frost's cat

Whose chair this is by now I know.
He's somewhere in the forest though.
He will not see me sitting here
A place I'm not supposed to go.

He really is a little queer
To leave his fire's cozy cheer
And ride out by the frozen lake
The coldest evening of the year.

To love the snow it takes a flake:
The chill that makes your footpads ache,
The drifts too high to lurk or creep,
The icicles that drip and break.

His chair is comfy, soft and deep
But I have got an urge to leap.
And mice to catch before I sleep.
And mice to catch before I sleep.

by Henry Beard

Some other titles include "The Cat's Tale" by Chaucer's cat, "To a Vase" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning's cat, and "She Walks in Booties" by Lord Byron's cat. Posted by Picasa I was just looking at Barnes and Noble to see if this book was there. I didn't find it, but he has some interesting looking titles about cats. I might have to buy some.

8 comments:

srp said...

I think I have that book. Now I will have to look through the boxes under the bed and see. This is too funny.

Anonymous said...

....and I have miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep ---Stopping by the woods---

LOVE that poem. I quote the miles to go before I sleep VERY often in my life.

I saw your comment in Tammy's blog and wanted to pay you a visit.

I too love cats---sweet, SWEET kitty you have.

TJ said...

I see why you liked the Funny Quote of the Day at my blog today...hehe!!
I thought it was pretty funny and true myself!!
:-D

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Oh my how lovely! Very pretty tabby!!! Just adorable.
The poem is very nice.

AC said...

That would be a fun exercise to rewrite those poems. What a great idea.

I don't know how the same basic number of people in my house over the weekend as always, with just the college girl here for two days and my mom only down a couple of hours, could mess up a house so completely as mine is. I'm thinking it was the cats.

Anonymous said...

Love the poem! You might look online at alibris.com.

I think your cat is my Kat's sister! Obviously, I think she's beautiful.

amarkonmywall said...

She's all soft and hazy in her tabby cat way. Really a sweet cat face. I'm laughing at the poem by Henry Beard- sounds like a fun and clever book.

Anonymous said...

I love all things cat. The poem is lovely as is the sweetie sitting in the chair. What a gentle face she has.