I want to share with you the thoughts of my children about those days. From reading blogs, I know that not everyone has a wonderful father who is there all the time. Even though he was not perfect, my husband adored his children and did everything that he could for them. I think his main downfall was that he worked so much that he often did not spend the time them that they might have desired, but he was always there for them.
My son had just graduated from Penn State in December of 2001. Even though he graduated with a degree in engineering, during his years at Penn State, he became involved in a campus ministry, and his vocation took a different direction. He became a campus minister, working at IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania.) He was dependent upon others for his financial support, and in one of his letters to his friends, he wrote this:
On April 30th, I received the call that can never be expected, the callAt Don's service, our pastor asked the family if we would like to say anything. I shared a little with the people who came, and then one of the pastors read a letter that Sarah had written to her dad. I asked her if she minded if I shared it with you, and she said that she didn't.
that tells you a loved one has been taken from this earth. My father,
Donald Whitcomb, was killed in a car accident at the age of 54.
This made for a tough time at the beginning of the summer, especially while
traveling and leaning so much. it is still hard. Tears come randomly, and mourning is far from over. Nothing can prepare you for a tragedy like this. nothing but the grace of God can give true comfort. I thank God that my family can hold onto the hope of seeing my father again, as spoken in I Thessalonians 4:13, 14: "But we do not want
you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, that you may not
grieve, as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died
and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep
in Jesus."
I will see my father again, and that day will be glorious. My family was blessed with a funeral that was a celebration of life. Over 700 people came to the visitation and the funeral. My dad knew and loved all types of people. lawyers, doctors, plumbers, electricians, widows, Africans, Asians, Latinos, and young and old, and those people knew and loved him as well....
Please take these words and think about htem: Sons, pursue your fathers. And learn about them as much as you can, while you can. Ask questions, even if you think it is weird. I wish I had. Fathers, pursue your sons, and learn their lives no matter how hard it is. Talk to them, and ask them questions, even when they don't want you to. If you think you don't have time to work on your relationship, make time. Life is a precious thing, and I didn't realize that until my father's death.
May 3, 2002
Dear Daddy,
I can’t believe I’m writing this letter. It’s only been 3 days since the accident but it seems like a whole lot longer. I feel like I’m in a dream and when I wake up you’ll still be here. I can’t believe you are gone.
I’m remembering what you told me often when I was down and wondering if things would turn out okay. You’d tell me to keep my chin up and keep pressing on. I’m trying to do that daddy, I’m really trying.
Thank you for everything that you ever did for mom, David and me. Thank you for being so giving and loving. Even though there weren’t a lot of touchy-feely moments, you always showed your love somehow.
Well, now you’ll be watching me wherever I am and in whatever I’m doing. You’ll always be with me, in my heart and in my mind. I’m too much like you to ever forget anything. But I miss you so so much it’s indescribable.
I’m going to keep working on the house and get the things done you wanted to do to it and then some. Thank you for helping me get the house and fix it up. I wouldn’t have traded you for another dad in the world.
As David said, you worked so hard for all that time and now you are finally resting and singing in the choir up in heaven. Say hi to grandma for me.
Thank you for being a wonderful dad.
I love you with all my heart.
See you one day!
Love always,
Your daughter,
Sarah
Thank you for following with me throughout this journey. When I started to blog, I did it more for my kids than anything else, and now I find that several have come along for the ride. Having written this today has been good. I think I am going to close the door on sharing any more. I just wanted to give you a glimpse into our thoughts and lives for the last little while.
10 comments:
This post reminds me that I need to appreciate every day with my good husband. Thank you for sharing.
Such a poignant letter, Beverly. Thanks for sharing. This post points out that we ought to be appreciative of every minute with our loved ones, especially since we never know when they might be taken away.
I know that you will probably always mourn the loss of your husband. I can't imagine how that feels, but this post certainly shows the pain that each of you felt when he passed.
((hugs))
that phrase, fathers, pursue your sons...It was several minutes before I could read the rest of your post.
You have a beautiful family, Beverly. I feel blessed to see that.
Those of us who have lost a loved one (spouse, parent, child, or friend) are part of a special fellowship. We understand each other in ways that those whose lives have not been shattered do not understand. Thank you for your children's words. God's blessing on you all.
Thinking and praying for your family Beverly ! You and your kids mourn the loss but it is also wonderful that each of you share wonderful memories ! Blessings to you and your family . Ron.
Well, now I'm all teary eyed.
Your Don sounds like a fine man.
What a wonderful tribute from the children to their father. I can't imagine the loss you are feeling, but I am praying for your comfort.
I too am teary eyed.
54 is far too young.
Thank you for sharing. You and Don raised two remarkable children.
I am so sorry for your loss, Beverly. I understand how, even after 5 years, you miss him still. From reading your children's words.. it is apparent that they would do their father proud.
Post a Comment