In keeping with Carmi's theme, water, I thought of these photos that I took one morning when I drove to my church's office to volunteer. As I was getting ready to leave, I looked out and saw a flock of ibis. (I assume they're a flock...not sure of the word for this group.) It had rained quite hard the day before, leaving puddles here and there. This ibis stood by himself in this particular puddle, doing his morning toilette.
As we read about the storms that are hitting and look at the flooding that takes place, I was thinking back today when I was a little girl, playing and splashing in the puddles in front of my house. We lived just inside the city limits, which, as one of my high school classmates said to me at lunch one day, "Beverly, you really lived way out of town." And I guess we did. I'm not sure about the storm sewers, but our street did not drain very quickly. I can remember sitting in the water, even pretending to swim. And I survived. I guess we weren't aware of pollution and all the concerns that we have today...easier times, they were...for kids anyway.

18 comments:
I don't know what the proper name for them is, but I'm naming them an intelligence of ibises!
You reminded me of puddle splashing when I was young - a favorite past time. Also, there was a 2-3 foot flood in part of our city when I was in high school. My girlfriend and I set out for the flooded area (on foot) to see the sights and my mom said "keep an eye out for snakes and rats in the water." Considering my mom was the original paranoid woman, I can't believe she was so casual about that! My friend and I walked all over that area in at least 2' of water, and had great fun doing it!
I saw your name today on a list of people to be interviewed about our community's history! I am helping to train the students. You should be getting a call in the next week or two. Thanks for volunteering!
I can also remember splashing and playing in puddles and my brother's sailing their homemade boats in the gutter. Fun memories! Praying your safe with all that bad weather! It's still terribly hot here!
xo
Oh yeah - puddles! Such fun to splash in them or ride your bike through, while lifting up your legs to keep your feet dry.
I used to play with worms too. Just picked them up and watched them squirm or threw them on the grass.
Ha! Nobody worried about pollution in those day. But my mother made sure I ALWAYS washed my hands when coming in from play - and before meals!
Hope these darn hurricanes burn themselves out!
That's a beautiful bird. I don't remember seeing that kind here in California.
Ah yes, riding my bike through the puddles. What a fun memory.
Beautiful Ibis shot. I gus any puddle will do. No inhibitions, that's for sure.
Beautiful photos, Bev, and they evoke lots of memories of childhood splashes, and I guess some adult ones as well and those rainy, rainy days!
I love the pictures. We love to go to St. Marks Wildlife Refuge and see all the different birds. I hope you are having a great week!
Blessings!
wow were you poular on this blog...puddles ...never allowed to play in puddles....guess what number, in the top ten, uou are as a commenter on my putz blog????
My but that is a beautiful bird... lovely photos!
I do believe that, even when my children were babies and toddlers, the world was an easier place. We didn't have to worry about the many things that parents have to be concerned about today. I guess it is now up to us grandparents to make this world a better place, one small step at a time. :-)
You reminded me of fun times as a child - remember jumping in them?
I love seeing birds so unconcerned, going about their day.
Let's keep our fingers crossed about hannah and IKE! Ike is a little worrying...
Beverly....are you old enough to have worn those spaghetti strapped little 'sunsuits' that had lots of puckering around the waist and bloomer-like bottoms with piping at the very top of your legs!?
We lived the summer through in those, me and my four wonderful sisters!
Are you in the path of any of these threatening hurricanes... you said you are on the gulf coast. We'll be on the atlantic side in October/November... hope someone has switched off the hurricane generator by then!
What terrific photos!
I remember my kids had a book called The Egret and the Ibis. We had those birds in CA that hung out around the canals where we lived. When they took flight, they looked like pteradactyls. (I know I didn't spell that correctly.)
My Gramillo used to tell a story about my dad when he was just two year old. He had gotten new shoes and he made a beeline for a puddle and jumped up and down in it shouting, "Waddie! Waddie!"
Your post brought some neat memories back to me.
Thanks.
hahaah I LOVE the story of when you were teaching the letter T!!!
Been thinking about you with all the hurricane news. Hope you continue to stay safe and relatively dry.
Take care
Sue
There are days when I wish I could turn back the clock to a simpler time when we didn't worry about every last little thing we encountered. To wit, when I walk the dog, I have to watch for lawn signs that indicate recent spraying (he's a grass chewer, wouldn't ya know), garbage left by inconsiderate strangers and even puddles (never know what's growing in 'em.)
Nothing's worry-free any more. That worries me.
Thankfully, you take pictures like these that ease my worry to a great degree. These are lovely...the lonely bird, doing his (her?) thing.
Post a Comment