
Well, the most we received from tropical storm Alberto was quite a bit of rain and some strong wind. As I said in a previous post, our area seems to escape the wrath of the storms. I would say that we’re blessed, but then, what about the people who are hit? It’s always hard to know how to pray when a storm is on its way. You don’t want it to hit you, but that leaves all the other people.
During the night there was quite a bit of wind. This morning I walked out into the back yard and saw probably 100 mangoes lying on the ground. They are still green, but I think they will ripen. They have little yellow dots on them. I’m going to box some up and send them to a friend in New York. We worked together in Haiti, and she loved them there.
In Haiti, during the season that mangoes and avocadoes were ripe and plentiful, when people would come to the clinic with ulcers or sores of any kind, it was noted that the sores healed so much more quickly. The good vitamins in both of those fruits aided in the healing process.
The mango is in the same family as poison ivy and cashew nuts. One day my husband picked up several from the yard to take to the lady next door, and his arm broke out in a rash. He had laid them against his arm to carry them. He stopped at the dermatologist’s office to see if he could take a look at his rash. John said, “Don, you have poison ivy.” Don said, “But I havne’t been in poison ivy.” But he had handled the mangoes.
Now, what to do with all these mangoes. They are native to India, and I know green ones are used to make chutney. I guess I’ll have to do a search for some recipes.
If you’ve never eaten a mango, try one sometime. They are, to me, one of the most delicious fruits that exist. I looked up some information about them, and they have just about everything you need to be healthy. Read this
The fruits, bark and seeds of mango plants have been scientifically shown to possess a range of health-giving properties.
Properties
Mango fruits can help to prevent colon cancer, especially in cases where there is a lack of fibre in the diet. The fruits also contain a compound called mangiferin, which has several medicinal attributes. It is particularly useful in promoting the action of the heart and excretion of urine, calming inflammation, treating diabetes and as an antioxidant. Fruits also contain the chemicals gallic acid and quercetine, which give protection against viruses.
Chemical compounds in extracts from the bark of mango trees have been shown to protect against diarrhoea. The powdered seeds also have antimicrobial activity. Safety
The only toxic parts of the mango plant are various substances that are found in the skin of the fruit and the sap of the trunk. Mango is in the same family as poison ivy (Anacardiacaeae) and, like many other species in this family, can cause allergic reactions in sensitive people. Contact with the skin of the fruit can irritate the skin, and it may be toxic if eaten.
I found this information here,
9 comments:
FASCINATING!!! YOU will have to box the mangoes since hubby can't handle them. Darn!
SO glad you have not suffered a lot with Alberto. My brother and his wife and boys are in Orlando, and they also never know whether to be glad a storm missed them--or they weren't hit worse...when other people were...
Hh
Wow...all that in a Mango!! Who'da thunk it??
:-D
Glad you escaped storm damage. Great info on mangoes! They are my youngest grandson's favorite fruit. I paid 50¢
at the store (which was a good price here)
I never knew they were in the same family as poison ivy.
The mango is in the middle to high glycemic index range so I don't give them to Mom often. There was a recipe in one of the books about a low carb custard. I put very thin slices of mango in the custard cup and then the custard made with egg beaters and Splenda with vanilla and baked it. Mom really liked it and it doesn't seem to be too bad on the sugar if the slices are limited in number and very thin.
Maybe the component that helps diabetes counters the high index of the carbs.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
We live up in Gibsonton near Riverview which is south of Tampa. We got a lot of much needed rain and just a few strong gusts of wind. Thank goodness this storm wasn't too bad.
I didn't know mangos were in the poison ivy family - my mother is alergic to them. Now me I crave them I wonder if one of the healthy things in them is what I crave. They are always my treat when they have them in the store.
I am glad you didn't get harmed by the storm.
Glad the storm bypassed you. We got lots of rain and the only damage was a 10 foot section of the top of a neighbors pine tree landed in our yard. All we have to do is clean it up. I honestly do not look forward to this hurricane season.
Very interesting information about mangos. I had no idea about the poison ivy.
I've never had a *real* mango, one ripened right out in the yard. The ones we can get in the stores are always so hard that I'm unwilling so far to take a chance on them. They look really different from those you picture.
I don't get poison ivy myself but my daughter is truly super sensitive and so is my mom. I had no idea that mangoes were related.
Glad you only got rain. We could sure use some here, but it is clear and hot.
great info.I'm glad to hear you are safe.
I love avocados and I've eaten dried mango.I will have to eat a fresh one.No skin:)
My new chinchiila supposely loves them,we will have to get one, thanks.
Post a Comment