Friday, August 11, 2006

My new granddaughter

Here she is!!! My granddaughter and first grandchild entered the world, Friday, August 4, 2006. I flew up on Sunday to spend a few days with son and daughter-in-law. I arrived on their doorstep just as they were arriving home from the hospital.

It's hard to remember holding one so tiny. I can't imagine what holding a preemie would be like. She looks big in the photo, but when my son, who is 6'8'' holds her to his chest, she looks like a little peanut. I'm amazed at her hair with its two cowlicks. Neither of mine had very much. My daughter-in-law is Asian, and so bets are being placed about her eyes (just kidding) but they would be very happy for that to be evident.

Everyone told me what a wonderful experience it is...and it is. I can hardly wait to go back and spend more time with this new little girl. More to come...

Flying home yesterday seemed like any other day, except for heightened security at the airport. I flew out of Richmond, and when I went through security, of course my knee set off the alarm. I was taken to a private security check area. Often at the airport I'm asked if I prefer that, and I always say that it doesn't matter. Perhaps that is their practice in Richmond. The checker asked me if I was traveling with anyone, and when I told her no, she gathered up my belongings. That is always a concern to me; however, usually they seat me so that I can keep my eye on my belongings. Yesterday as well as checking my body, the checker went through my purse as well, looking for offensive liquids. I always check everything except my purse and may a small tote bag because I don't like the weight on my shoulders.

When I got to the airport and returned my rental car, I tossed the bottle of water that I had after having heard the news that morning. The only glitch in travel was that in Charlotte, the plane that would take me to Sarasota had started at Newark that morning and had been delayed a couple of hours after news of the arrests in London. It had then flown to Kansas City then to Charlotte. It arrived about an hour after the time that I would have taken off for home. I was none the worse for the wear. It was good to be home safe and sound.

Arriving home, a friend met me at the airport. Her first question was "Do you have pictures?" "Of course," I said, "let me get my camera." Well, I scrounged and looked and my camera wasn't there. I called me son, and he said, "Mom, your friends in Florida aren't going to be happy." I had left my camera at his house, so he sent me a couple that he had sent my daughter earlier...so soon I'll have my pictures, and I promise not to bore you to death with them. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elle Marie is absolutely GORGEOUS. I will be anxious to see MORE pictures. There is nothing as special as grand children. It's going to be hard to to keep you in Florida. I seemed to always find one reason or another to fly up to see my wonderful grand daughers.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Oh Beverly, she is so adorable. And she is very lucky to have such a wonderful Grandma! Keep us updated on your camera full of pictures!

Glad your trip went well yesterday. What a day to be caught flying!

AC said...

Let the spoiling begin!!! She's a beauty.

Almost 21 years ago to the day I was looking at a similar tiny bundle, wondering how on earth I was going to keep her safe and happy, having never been around babies. Although I can wait a few more years, I'm looking forward to grandmothering a little sweetheart.

Can't wait to see the photos! Congratulations again.

Susie said...

There's nothing quite so sweet and innocent as a newborn babe! Perfection in a tiny package...
Yesterday was a hard day to be traveling. We experienced arriving in SFO on 9.11. A sad day...

jel said...

she is a doll, congrats grandmaw! :)

glad you made it home safe!

TJ said...

You've earned every right to bore us to death...lol...you are after all a grandmother now...I saw this quote recently in an email "Grandmothers are mothers with frosting"...I thought that is so true!
Glad you got through all of the red tape at the air ports...this hightened security can get us all in crisis mode...but what a blessing that we can sometimes know what to look for ahead of time!
The baby is just beautiful!!!
:-D