Thursday, August 03, 2006

Waiting

Tuesday was the due date for my first grandchild. So far, she (the baby) has decided to stay right where she is. Maybe she knows that it is nearly 100 degrees in Virginia where they live. I've been reading and enjoying a lot of blogs lately but not posting. The first three days of the week were hectic, and I didn't want to take the time to sit down and try to do a decent post.

Tom wrote on Tuesday about Greg Maddux's leaving the Chicago Cubs for the Dodgers, and then he mentioned today that he had been a Cub before he ever became a Brave. I had only known him as a Brave. SRP has been writing about her experiences in New York City, from riding the subway to visiting the museums, seeing Broadway plays, and in general describing the neighborhood in Brooklyn where she has been nanny for a couple of weeks to Tanya and Tucker, two cats.

I went to see a baseball game on Monday night. In our area we have the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Some folks call them the "Rays." They prefer to leave the devil out of it...which is o.k. with me. Tampa Bay has a strange sports history. Years ago, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers started up and had a losing season for how many years? Well, I haven't looked up the statistics, but probably 20 or so. Then Tony Dungy came and turned the team around with his defense. The team became contenders, but because He didn't get them to the Super Bowl, he was fired. One of the players said of him the other day, "He made us what we are today." I believe he was talking about the character he helped instill in the men as well as the football skills that were taught and caught by the men.

Years ago, the city of St. Petersburg build a dome to house a baseball team. When the leagues expanded, the Arizona Diamondbacks came into being as well as the Devil Rays. What were they named? Tampa Bay...this caused a lot of anger in St. Pete. They sort of lost their identity. Then along came the hockey team...the Tampa Bay Lightning, winners of the Stanley Cup a couple of years ago. They built the "Ice Palace" for them...it is in Tampa. What is it named now? The "St. Pete Times Forum." The newspaper bought rights to the name. So in Tampa they play at the St. Pete Times Forum.

I find myself wandering here...I went to the baseball game, which is now played in the same dome, now known as Tropicana® Field. Tropicana is the orange juice brand which is made right here in Bradenton where I live. As I sat and watched the game, I recognized a few names on the Tigers team. The Rays are a young team. They have traded away their experienced players for younger ones...We're building, they say. The team really does have some talent on it, and management says they have a plan. Hopefully, it won't take as long as the Bucs did to succeed. Unhappily, they find themselves in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox.

A few things that management did this year to try to boost attendance at games was to offer free parking (a savings of ten dollars,) lower the price of food (you can buy a hot dog for a dollar, also a small drink for a dollar,) permit food to be brought into the dome. Attendance is up 30% over last year, and gradually a fan base seems to be building up.

Unfortunately, Northerners who move to Florida bring their team loyalties with them. When the yankees or Red Sox come to town, there are more of their fans their than Rays' fans, but a gradual change is being seen. One day...one day, perhaps the Rays will rule

I have many more thoughts on baseball, but I'll save them for another day. If I contine, those of you who visit here and are not particularly baseball fans will long ago have stopped reading...z-z-z-z.

4 comments:

TJ said...

I know the waiting game...my youngest waited 2 1/2 weeks...YIKES!!
I hope it isn't that much longer for ya'll!!
:-D

jel said...

that kid is smart, staying in until it cools down some :)


and thanks for stopping by yesterday! and I like baseball
the Cards are it! :)

AC said...

Oooh, lets talk baseball! I'll admit to this....I have a crush on Greg Maddox. Of all the Braves pitchers, he was my favorite. So cool and precise. And he has a tiny smarty-pants grin at the corner of his mouth when he knows he going to make a batter look goofy.

For a moment the other day, I hoped and dreamed he would come back. Now the Dodgers have three former Braves - Maddox, Betamit and Furcal.

No the Braves are, as they say, struggling, this year. I have not given up hope for the Wild Card, but it is pretty unlilkely. Still we have some beautiful players, Brian McCann for one, Andruw Jones. We have more talent than we are showing but they are my team and I am L.O.Y.A.L.

Plus, I just loathe the Mets. I once thought it was just Piazza (isn't he a Dodger now too?) but it turns out its the whole team! That Beltran! Yowch!

AC said...

I couldn't figure out how to leave Tom a comment. Tell him for me that Mad Dog is MY favorite pitcher too. And I still miss him terribly.

Hey, its raiing here and feeling just a little cooler. Maybe life IS worth living, even with a losing ball team.