Sunday, July 13, 2008

Project black - 3

T
I live in Manatee County. The river that separates Bradenton from Palmetto is the Manatee River. From time to time one sees manatees in the river. Boaters are asked to be cautious in certain areas of the waters, but sometimes these gentle giants get injured by boat propellors.

During the winter, large numbers of manatees can be seen at a power plant not too far from here. They come looking for warm waters and find them there.
This Saturday is the 60th birthday of our resident manatee, Snooty, who lives at the South Florida museum. He was born in captivity and brought to Bradenton when he was young. When we took our first graders on field trips to the museum, he was always the favorite. Of course, he was the only living thing in the place. After the party, I'll post some photos of the goings-on.
To see more Project black photos, visit Anna's blog.
On another note, this evening when I came home from church, I went to put my garbage can out by the street for pickup in the morning. When I moved the can, there was a small snake underneath it. On first glance I thought it was just a black snake or garden variety of some kind, but when I looked at him, his tail was shaking like a rattlesnake. He was only about nine inches long. As I looked at him again, he gathered himself as though he were going to strike, and strike he did. His mouth opened up as he got into position. Normally I would leave snakes alone, but I'm sure this was a baby rattler, so I went into the garage and got a shovel and killed him. Now I'm wondering where the mama is.
Often on the night before garbage day I go out late and put the cans out, but I don't think I'll do that again.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Shammickite said...

I've never actually seen a manatee, in a zoo or in the wild but I've often seen notices about them beside the waterways in Florida. Maybe I'll see one leter this year when I'm there.
And the baby rattler... ooooh nasty. I had no idea that rattlesnakes live in Florida, I always imagine them in the Wild West! I'll be more careful in future.

srp said...

Getting caught up... I see you had a fabulous time with little Ella, as expected. And a pool! What Nyssa wouldn't give for one on the hot days we have had here.

I do have an excuse for not writing.. it seems my "muse" has left with all the turmoil of moving and senior college drama and now...only two weeks to get it all together and move my child back to Mississippi. This is the absolutely positively last time I am driving a U-haul. I am too old for this!

photowannabe said...

I love the gentle manatee and liked your black post for it.
The snake situation gives me the creepy crawlies. I didn't realize you had rattlers there either. Glad you got rid of it but it does make you wonder where the rest of the family is hidding.
Take care of yourself and please be safe.

Putz said...

my daughter becky's favorite ocean aninimal(mammal) is a manatee

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Snooty is so cute!

SNAKES! Yikes I will never forget the one that got inside our house while I was home alone and I had to kill it to protect my unsuspecting babies. I really think it was a pymgy rattler they are common here in Florida. I was so shook up as far as killing it in the house I couldn't tell you what it was. I choked the little varmit to death with none other than a mop head...

:-/

Anonymous said...

Some day I hope to see a real live Manatee. They seem like such gentle souls.

When I was about 10 we lived in Alberta. A nest of rattle snakes was found in a church that was being built. I well remember the commotion that caused. I have never seen a live one myself and hope never to.

Raven said...

There's something lovable about manatees, isn't there? Glad you didn't get bitten by the snake. Hope his mother is far, far away.

Anonymous said...

I speak with no authority on the subject, but when has that ever stopped me? :o)

We have plenty of snakes around here. I'm not fond of them and have had a couple of close calls with 'em. I do know that a king snakes will coil and shake its tail like a rattler, although they have no rattles; if they're in tall weeds or grass, tho', it can be difficult to tell the difference. Around here, the most tell-tale sign of a rattlesnake is the triangular shape of the head...but I really don't want to be close enough, or take enough time to look closely, to be sure. I wanna get out of there!

Ginnie said...

My son in law keeps telling me that the snakes are more afraid of us than the other way around....but I don't take that chance!
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I haven't met Judy but do live very near her...within 50 miles. I've met three bloggers in person and it is always fun.

Anonymous said...

I love manatees! I've seen them at aquariums! Perfect shot for Project Black! :)

Bobkat said...

I have never seen a real manatee but I watched a programme on them once and they seem like amazing creatures and so graceful in water.

Great pic for project Black :)

Thanks for visiitng my blog :)