Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm looking at you

Saturday at Snooty's birthday party, several animals were there for the festivities. These wise guys were there from one of the local wildlife shelters. The top one is a screech owl, just about seven inches tall. I'm reminded of the time that we were having our driveway widened. The friend who came over to give us a price said, "I hear a screech owl."

Along the front of our yard are several royal palms. One of them got hit by lightning a few years ago and died. The fronds were no longer there, but up in the top was a screech owl's home. Charlie made their sound and up they popped to let us know they had heard him. That tree also became the home to some woodpeckers.

I didn't pay attention to learn the name of this owl. In looking at photos of owls, he appears to be a great-horned owl. They are such interesting birds, aren't they. Join the photographic theme of animals over at Carmi's place.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Dianne said...

owls fascinate me and I love that they came to Snooty's party :)

Wendy said...

Good photos. That is indeed a great horned owl. How serious he looks! We have them here in our forests. You have to search for them, but when you see one, it's really awesome. I love the little screech owls!

Susie said...

I don't know one owl from another, but he's a beauty. We have a whole family that nest in the palm trees near us. They're wonderful to hear at night..
xo
Now here's something cute: My word verifiij
cation is "owlwhirl"

kenju said...

The top one looks meek and mild, and the bottom one looks wise and sarcastic!

Jamie Dawn said...

Owls are so neat looking. They are beautiful, mysterious, and a bit frightening.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I was watching NatGO on television this weekend and on one program they were showing the owls and how they attack the terns ... I know nature is what it is ... but it was so hard to watch as this owl just literally snacked on a live tern.

We have two large owls in our yard and they do keep the varmit population down...

photowannabe said...

I miss hearing the owls hoot at night. At our other house we heard them all the time. They liked to live in a stand of trees across from the home.
There doesn't seem to be any around our new house. I love that haunting sound.
Terrific shots Beverly.

Amy said...

Beverly, I love the pics of the owls. They are stately creatures aren't they. Blessings to you.

Salute said...

I don't know one owl from another. It been many years since I seem a owl. They are very unique.

JeanMac said...

Don't mean to be disrepectful, but I had a teacher in high school who looked much like that when a student wasn't believed. I think his suit was even similar:)