Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tony Snow's thoughts on Cancer

The first thing I heard this morning when I woke up and turned on the television was the news that Tony Snow had died during the night. He had been on my mind the last few days as I wondered how he was doing.

After his recurrence of cancer, he wrote an article that appeared in Christianity Today. Z, over at her blog has posted the article that he wrote. Read it and consider.

I remember when Don died the gentleman who had been my field director in Haiti sent me an e-mail when he heard the news. He wrote, "We just heard on Don's arrival." He arrived too early as did Tony in our eyes. But what wonderful comfort is to know that we'll meet on the other side.

11 comments:

Salute said...

sad story, but God knows best

Wendy said...

Yes, isn't it interesting how other cultures perceive death?
We focus on the loss of that special person. But others focus on the "arrival" of that person - wherever that may be.
My husband had a colleague from India and he and his family would wear white clothes (not black) and celebrate someone's passing.
It is a comfort.

Wendy said...

Just read Tony Snow's article. Very moving. Well worth reading.

Susie said...

Just came from the link to Tony Snow's article. Thank you so much for sharing. Such insightful writing.
xo

Rita Loca said...

He will be missed.
OT, We are with Baptist International Mission, Inc.
were you a missionary?

carmilevy said...

I am so sorry to hear about Mr. Snow's passing. I always enjoyed watching him orchestrate press briefings. The journalist in me always viewed these sessions as the highest expression of the government-media relationship within a true democracy. He was truly gifted in his ability to balance one of the toughest jobs in government with a vibrant family life.

It's so sad when good people are taken too early. He deserved more time.

denverdoc said...

We certainly can take some lessons from Mr. Snow. I currently have two patients--both in their 50's--facing horrific cancer with such courage and grace that I am daily in awe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this, Beverly. I followed the link to read his article and got busy sending the link out to some family and friends. I'm back, now, to say thanks.

I wish I'd been fortunate to call him "friend." Some day. . . .

photowannabe said...

Thanks for the Tony Snow article and I appreciated his thoughts. The words about your husband's "arrival" is right on and so touching too.
It is such a comfort.

Anonymous said...

Such a fine man. He will be missed.

Eve said...

The bible says to comfort ourselves with this knowledge and it is a comfort. One day we shall step out of the darknes into the light. And there they will be, waiting.